Votes: 1 100.0%
  • garden

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • both

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • whats a Veg patch?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Morrisette said:
<estate agent> This fantastic house benefits from a Mediterranean-style patio area </estate agent>

Our rented, slug-infested slum has a back yard. I have managed to grow tomatoes, herbs, some baby carrots, a huge blackberry bush (minus spines) and some extra large snails.

And yeah, the slugs are INSIDE.

One of our student houses had a pair of resident slugs in the bathroom. We called them Troilus and Cressida and they seemd to thrive on the soap scum in the sink.

One night, Cressida had grown a bit and we never saw Troilus again. Apparently, some slugs are omnivores...

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
We've just taken possession of a schmall house with an huge garden! It's 100feet long, divided into lawn, teeny orchard with apple and damson trees and aveg plot.

Unfortunately the vendors let our neighbour plant the orchard with spuds and he's occupying the veg plot with beans.....but am looking forward to getting soily once the spuds are up.

fuzzy29

I live in a rented flat over a shop, so no garden.:?:

But on the brightside, it won't be flooded when I get home and the pub over the road has a patio area.:tongue:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Used to have 15ft x 30ft front garden and 30ft x 65ft back garden.
Turned back garden into a jungle, banana plants, palm trees, yuccas, tree ferns etc. etc..fish pond, macaws, parakeets.
When I finished,,,,ex kicked me out. Bitch !! :tongue:

longers

Legendary Member
I've got a wee garden out the back of my rented house and have been on a waiting list for an allotment for 18 months or so.

I try to grow a few edible things - toms, spuds, herbs, rocket and they taste delicious. This year they're a bit waterlogged and not so good.:tongue:

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Cab said:
Little back garden and little front garden, and allotment. The front is very shaded, so I've replanted it with shade loving plants. Several varieties of Rubus (like loganberry, salmonberry, dewberry, american black cap raspberry, and a couple of ornamental ones), some Ribes (golden currant, gooseberry), two shade tolerant climning roses, elaeagnus that will cross pollinate each other, berberris, Japonica 'cido', cherry laurel 'lemon dazzler' and 'mount etna', Amelanchier canadensis, a little hawthorn tree, southernwood, fuchsia 'magellanica gracilis' and other bits and bobs.

The back gets a little more light, so I grow tomatoes, tayberries, strawberries, sorrel, lettuce, mizuna and other leafy salad veg there, as well as more gooseberries, blueberries, and in pots some trees (cherry, peach, apricot - all youngsters, no crops yet). Little asparagus bed and some currants tucked in to the side, along with sunflowers, dahlias, sweet peas, and the herb garden. Other bits go in and out of the beds as they fit. Sounds a lot, but its a small space.

The allotment is for the big, bulky stuff. Got all manner of stuff down there, as listed on the other thread.

Now Cab that is just showing off, I am not envious

I am not

I am not

but the wife is....

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Dug up some onions yesterday, they haven't liked the rain: about 1/3 had rotted in the ground and they were much smaller than last year.

I've just got some great runner beans tho'

Cab

Hairy Jock said:
Now Cab that is just showing off, I am not envious

I am not

I am not

but the wife is....

Trust me. If you saw the weedy state of them, and how small the front and back gardens are, you'd not be jealous :biggrin:

Cab

palinurus said:
Dug up some onions yesterday, they haven't liked the rain: about 1/3 had rotted in the ground and they were much smaller than last year.

The onions, you got white rot round the bottoms?

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
palinurus said:

Up here the runner beans haven't even flower yet...

Si

Gotten me self an allotment about 2.5 months ago, 5 mins walk from home.
Lotsa digging at the mo, but had first crop (only radishes but am proud of the wee lads) already and the salad leafs are looking promising. Cougettes have failed I think - too much rain. Parnips are looking OK - well the ones that I didn't mistakenly weed out. Spinach on it's way.

Was going to plant in garden but tried digging and found it to be criss-crossed with large tree roots just under the surface :biggrin:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have a 100 foot garden and I grow a variety of veg on my patch at the bottom. The runner beans are coming on nicely because of all the rain, and the tomatoes and cabbages likewise. I have just dug over another 20 foot patch to make the area a bit larger. Now I have to go down to the stables to collect free manure to get ready for next years growing.:biggrin:

Top Bottom