Allroad/Gravel Tyres Change from Road Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bladerunner

Hi there all , I'm new in cycling found difficult to ride on Road tyres will like to change to Allroad or Gravel tyres . Need some advice info about the specs of the new tires that will fit my rims : Front rim = Alex Rim DC25 with tire 28-622(700 x 28 C ) Rear rim = Vera Corsa DPM 27 Road Wheel .
What are the spec of a new Allroad or Gravel tyre to order online or ebay ?
Cheers , Thanks a lot !!

Last edited by a moderator:

vickster

Legendary Member
What bike is it? You need to have clearance within the frame for fatter tyres

OP
OP
B

Bladerunner

Hi Vickster !
Scott Road Bike , FRAME
Speedster / D.Butted 6061 Alloy Endurance geometry / Integrated Headtube, int. cable routing .
FORK Speedster Alloy 1 1/8" Alloy steerer.
HUB (FRONT) Formula Comp 24 H
HUB (REAR) Formula Comp 28 H

Thanks

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
What difficulties are you encountering with the existing tyres..?

You should be able to get a good idea of the available clearance by looking at the gaps between the frame/fork and tyres as the sides and radius. Bear in mind that you'll want to retain a certain clearance anyway to account for wheel trueness (or lack of) and debris.

Also consider that quoted tyre sizes often differ from the actual dims when installed, for model-specific reasons as well as the width of the rim they're fitted to.

I'd echo Vickster's suggestion above that you might already be running the largest you can go; even 28mm is pretty generous for some road bikes!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi Vickster !
Scott Road Bike , FRAME
Speedster / D.Butted 6061 Alloy Endurance geometry / Integrated Headtube, int. cable routing .
FORK Speedster Alloy 1 1/8" Alloy steerer.
HUB (FRONT) Formula Comp 24 H
HUB (REAR) Formula Comp 28 H

Thanks
What model year? Rim or disc brakes?

OP
OP
B

Bladerunner

What difficulties are you encountering with the existing tyres..?

You should be able to get a good idea of the available clearance by looking at the gaps between the frame/fork and tyres as the sides and radius. Bear in mind that you'll want to retain a certain clearance anyway to account for wheel trueness (or lack of) and debris.

Also consider that quited tyre sizes often differ from the actual dims when installed, for model-specific reasons as well as the width of the rim they're fitted to.

I'd echo Vickster's suggestion above that you might already be running the largest you can go; even 28mm is pretty generous for some road bikes!
Hi Wafter

Front rim = Alex Rim DC25 with tire 28-622(700 x 28 C ) Rear rim = Vera Corsa DPM 27 ,
Gap between the front frame/fork and actual tyre is about 22mm each side of the tyre
Gap between the rear tyre (pic below ) is to the eye 10mm each side , in the pic 15mm.
The brekes are Tektro R525.

Cheers , Thanks

Attachments

• 20200406_074325.jpg
    20200406_074325.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
B

Bladerunner

BTW my question is rather specific : what size of new tyres I should order that will fit
on those Rims ,
inside those forks,
between those brakes ??
:wacko::wacko::wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member
BTW my question is rather specific : what size of new tyres I should order that will fit
on those Rims ,
inside those forks,
between
those brakes ??
:wacko::wacko::wacko:
So rim brakes?
I’d suggest a 28mm tyre is probably the max for a rim braked Road bike

Perhaps you could email a retailer like Start and ask them though (They well what appears to be your bike)
https://m.startfitness.co.uk/scott-2018-speedster-10-mens-road-bike-grey-265361.html

Get them to suggest a more treaded tyre in 28
https://m.startfitness.co.uk/contacts/?category=Cycles Query#contactForm

where are you trying to ride a road bike that’s not possible to ride on road bike tyres? Maybe you have the wrong bike?

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Hi Wafter

Front rim = Alex Rim DC25 with tire 28-622(700 x 28 C ) Rear rim = Vera Corsa DPM 27 ,
Gap between the front frame/fork and actual tyre is about 22mm each side of the tyre
Gap between the rear tyre (pic below ) is to the eye 10mm each side , in the pic 15mm.
The brekes are Tektro R525.

Cheers , Thanks
Good point about the brake calipers; forgot about those as all I've been thinking about recently is disks!

It sounds like you've got some good clearance so could potentially go a bit larger before you're restricted by the frame / brakes (the size probably being limited by the clearance at the rear). On the subject of the brakes it's also well worth considering how close the caliper is going to come to the tyres when the shoes / pads are on their wear limit.

How do you find the brakes? My road bike came with Tektros which I found to be somewhat lacking and were quickly replaced with 105 calipers. If you feel similar you might want to look at swapping the calipers first before committing to larger tyres.

Unfortunately I can't tell a lot about the rims from their model number alone; if you have the tyres off and measure their width between the hooks (the most out-board part of the rim under which the tyre bead seats) this summary should give you an idea of suitable tyre sizes.

Sorry I can't help much more than this; too many variable and unknowns to be able to remotely suggest an appropriate size.

Again, what issues are you having with the current tyres that are encouraging you to change them?

OP
OP
B

Bladerunner

So rim brakes?
I’d suggest a 28mm tyre is probably the max for a rim braked Road bike

Perhaps you could email a retailer like Start and ask them though (They well what appears to be your bike)
https://m.startfitness.co.uk/scott-2018-speedster-10-mens-road-bike-grey-265361.html

Get them to suggest a more treaded tyre in 28
https://m.startfitness.co.uk/contacts/?category=Cycles Query#contactForm

where are you trying to ride a road bike that’s not possible to ride on road bike tyres? Maybe you have the wrong bike?
Just in the in the street in the urban roads,
I'm riding with a 28-622 (700 x 28C ) tyres I find the ride a bit complicated , the tyres are for someone experienced and in the slim side I'm an average rider not heavy but not slim enough I will feel lot more comfortable with a more regular tyres , those are thin for a fast sort of race ride , requires lot more equilibrium, stability , I just want a more average ride with a bit of speed time to time while we are confined though I'm starting to enjoy the ride but I would prefer a more stable tyres .

OP
OP
B

Bladerunner

Good point about the brake calipers; forgot about those as all I've been thinking about recently is disks!

It sounds like you've got some good clearance so could potentially go a bit larger before you're restricted by the frame / brakes (the size probably being limited by the clearance at the rear). On the subject of the brakes it's also well worth considering how close the caliper is going to come to the tyres when the shoes / pads are on their wear limit.

How do you find the brakes? My road bike came with Tektros which I found to be somewhat lacking and were quickly replaced with 105 calipers. If you feel similar you might want to look at swapping the calipers first before committing to larger tyres.

Unfortunately I can't tell a lot about the rims from their model number alone; if you have the tyres off and measure their width between the hooks (the most out-board part of the rim under which the tyre bead seats) this summary should give you an idea of suitable tyre sizes.

Sorry I can't help much more than this; too many variable and unknowns to be able to remotely suggest an appropriate size.

Again, what issues are you having with the current tyres that are encouraging you to change them?

I'm riding with a 28-622 (700 x 28C ) tyres I find the ride a bit complicated , the tyres are for someone experienced and in the slim side I'm an average rider not heavy but not slim enough I will feel lot more comfortable with a more regular tyres , those are thin for a fast sort of race ride , requires lot more equilibrium, stability , I just want a more average ride with a bit of speed time to time while we are confined though I'm starting to enjoy the ride but I would prefer a more stable tyres .

OP
OP
B

Bladerunner

Just in the in the street in the urban roads,
btw , Thank you !!!

OP
OP
B

Bladerunner

btw , Thanks !!!

Top Bottom