Allroad/Gravel Tyres Change from Road Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Bladerunner

So rim brakes?
I’d suggest a 28mm tyre is probably the max for a rim braked Road bike

Perhaps you could email a retailer like Start and ask them though (They well what appears to be your bike)
https://m.startfitness.co.uk/scott-2018-speedster-10-mens-road-bike-grey-265361.html

Get them to suggest a more treaded tyre in 28
https://m.startfitness.co.uk/contacts/?category=Cycles Query#contactForm

where are you trying to ride a road bike that’s not possible to ride on road bike tyres? Maybe you have the wrong bike?
btw, Thanks

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm riding with a 28-622 (700 x 28C ) tyres I find the ride a bit complicated , the tyres are for someone experienced and in the slim side I'm an average rider not heavy but not slim enough I will feel lot more comfortable with a more regular tyres , those are thin for a fast sort of race ride , requires lot more equilibrium, stability , I just want a more average ride with a bit of speed time to time while we are confined though I'm starting to enjoy the ride but I would prefer a more stable tyres .
That seems like a bit of an odd criticism; are you saying that they feel sketchy to ride - unpredictable with poor traction? Are you finding they skid or break- away without warning? If so I'd urge you to check your tyre pressures are appropriate for the tyre size and your weight. Also, what brand are the tyres? Could be that the fault lies with the tyre compound / design rather than its size.

Are you a particularly fast rider, or riding in challenging conditions (damp, rough, loose surfaces etc..)?

I've ridden a reasonable selection of 23 and 25mm road tyres over the years and tbh have never felt unsafe due to their handling characteristics.

btw , Thanks !!!
No worries - appreciate you saying so ;)

DRM

Guru
One other thing to consider is if a wider tyre will catch the front derailleur as well as the gap between the seat stays and brake caliper, I have one bike running 28mm as standard and it came with long drop brakes to give more room for wider tyres.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Don't forget to check clearance between the rear tyre and seat tube. On one of mine, moving from 23 to 25 meant I could only just get the wheel far enough forward to get in the dropout with the tyre inflated.

DRM

Guru
So there’s a lot to think about before you fit bigger tyres, in all honesty 28 mm have been ok for me and I’m no featherweight pro climber, how much pressure are you running your tyres at? I found 75 psi rear 70 psi front to be good for me

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
If I'm right, you're thinking that wider tyres will give you more stability whilst riding.
An old landlady once asked me how I stayed upright on such skinny tyres as if mountain bike sized tyres would offer better balance. It doesn't work that way.
Wider, thicker tyres would offer more cushioning and in some cases (depending on tread) more grip. But that only applies to offroading or loose surfaces.
Short of going up a mega steep incline on wet grass or rocky surfaces, you'd be surprised how grippy thin road tyres are.
I'd suggest keep riding for a couple weeks and you'll soon get used to what your tyres can and can't do.

Top Bottom