Almost bought a new bike, good/bad decision?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jhey

I had a Carrera Zelos 2015 model, I sold it though due to an issue with the size, the frame was a large and I am 5'11 but I felt to stretched out and on longer rides it hurt my back and shoulders, even bought a smaller stem but still didn't feel right, the large felt more like a XL sized frame, it will do you fine and last you a while til you decide to upgrade to a new bike, I ended up selling it and getting a Specialized Allez which is a 56cm frame and fits perfect.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
You know that Birmingham to Wellingborough isn't that far @Paul Burke. A visit to @biggs682 might be very beneficial to you and you'll get some excellent advice too.

OP
OP
Paul Burke

Paul Burke

Regular
Again please forgive my ignorance.

But what bikes have you got, as I think I am after something a bit specific, although I still don't actually know what that is?

If I am honest I am looking at as new as I can get, preferably with the best components I can get, and looking to stretch as far as maybe £350 now.

I was looking at the Decathlon bikes, with carbon forks, also I have been looking at some others on ebay but without knowing which 'brands' are good or bad its difficult to know where to start...

I see names like Boardman, Carrera and others crop up a lot... I assume they are cheapish in the main?

To be brutally honest with you I am not looking for a 20 year old racer, and I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone by saying that.

OP
OP
Paul Burke

Paul Burke

Regular
But looking at your avatar, you look fairly big so it would likely be too small. (would be for me and I'm female, albeit 5'10)

I am 5ft 10 and 16 stone.

I am ashamed of myself currently, you are correct in your assumptions.

I am hoping to see the weight drop off, so to speak.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am 5ft 10 and 16 stone.

I am ashamed of myself currently, you are correct in your assumptions.

I am hoping to see the weight drop off, so to speak.
Never does for me with exercise alone, adapting your diet is more important. Cut out booze and sugary fizzy drinks/juice/smoothies asap

OP
OP
Paul Burke

Paul Burke

Regular
(l;
Never does for me with exercise alone, adapting your diet is more important. Cut out booze and sugary fizzy drinks/juice/smoothies asap

I don't drink alcohol, I used to play a lot of golf, like ALOT... 36 holes per day... I damaged my knee whilst playing to a point where I had to quit and I was unable to walk for 9 months. I also stopped smoking. I might have tried to return back to golf too soon you could say... and I paid a big price for it as the knee went again...

The weight piled on. I am trying to turn the tables now.

Just reading about the Merlin PR7 on Road.cc and it sounds really very impressive, better gearing than the T500SE. (listen to me, all the Pro now lol ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
If you have bad knees, be very very careful to get a bike that is right for you and learn how to set it up correctly before going out on it. Or budget for a bike fit (£100-200)
(coming from someone with two knackered knees)

Swimming is a good exercise to compliment cycling and is knee friendly (crawl/back stroke not breast stroke)

puffinbilly

Veteran
Think if I was you I would either go for the Triban 3 off Ebay if you can find one local to you. Reasoning being - it should be cheap and you don't know if you'll get into cycling again or decide it's not for you. Another reason for the Triban 3 - is that in all probably it's being bought by someone like yourself who was looking at a cheap route into cycling and did their research at the best bang for buck at the time.
If you buy it and decide cycling is for you and want to upgrade in a few months you'll most likely get your money back and help to upgrade to whatever you want then.

Cyclist33

Think if I was you I would either go for the Triban 3 off Ebay if you can find one local to you. Reasoning being - it should be cheap and you don't know if you'll get into cycling again or decide it's not for you. Another reason for the Triban 3 - is that in all probably it's being bought by someone like yourself who was looking at a cheap route into cycling and did their research at the best bang for buck at the time.
If you buy it and decide cycling is for you and want to upgrade in a few months you'll most likely get your money back and help to upgrade to whatever you want then.

Shouldn't an "either" have an "or"??

puffinbilly

Veteran
Shouldn't an "either" have an "or"??

I was thinking that as well - when I read my post - train of thought interrupted by work.

Think the "or" would have been or a similar priced second hand road bike - since the original poster is on a budget and not sure of his cycling bug at the moment. I think it's all too easy to get pulled into higher spend than you originally planned for and then find 3-6 months down the line that cycling is not for you and take a battering when selling the bike - so second hand would seem ideal.

OP
OP
Paul Burke

Paul Burke

Regular
Thank you.

I used to cycle a lot as a teenager, occasionally going on runs up to 50 miles, I was really into it.

My knee is mostly ok, it has repaired itself to a point of usability, I am not limping or disabled or anything, but I wont be back on the golf course any time soon.

When I do something I like I tend to go all in hence the 36 holes of golf per day, I imagine cycling will (again) be the same when I find a bike that's suitable, good quality, and well priced.

I am trying to avoid buying something that'will do' as like I say I usually get well into things that I do, and I am not the sort of person who 'tries' things.

So I am looking for something that will last, the Triban 3 does seem the right quality and price for a few years at least I would guess... not sure of the Triban 500 SE anymore with the microshift gears?

I am not opposed to buying a 2nd hand bike, but it would have to fit my idea of what I am looking for (something fast, looks nice, decent quality)... the Triban 3'si have seen so far have all been quite far away, and/or around £200 with very little description, which puts me off slightly.

The Merlin looks ok, spec wise its great, decals are a bit boring and not my style... prefer the look of the Triban 500 SE, but those gears??

Still looking, reading and paying attention to all the advice you are giving... and it is appreciated.

Last edited:

Cyclist33

If you watch the Decathlon promo video review of the Alur 700, the guy says there was a technical problem with the 500SE although he didn't say what so it might be nothing to do with the Microshift gears. (For what it's worth I had a Felt road bike in 2011 with Microshift shifters and they were fine, I actually liked them because it annoys me having to waggle the brake lever to shift.) But anyway it does sounds as though, be wary of the 500SE or at least research and find out what the issue with them is/was.

You do sound like you should spend a little bit more if you're likely to really get into it. It's a shame you're a bit too small for my Giant Defy!

OP
OP
Paul Burke

Paul Burke

Regular
I cannot find the video you mention, do you have a link to it please?

I never thought 5ft 10 was small... so now I am fat and small, great lol :smile:

Top Bottom