Almost bought a new bike, good/bad decision?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Paul Burke

Paul Burke

Regular
Also, I found a BTWIN TRIBAN 3 today, it is white, with a black front fork and red handles by the brakes.

I asked the seller if this bike has got micro shift or the Claris chain set and he said he didn't know, he said he thinks they are cheap generic?

Any ideas what gears are likely to be on this bike please?

Unless the white one is a Triban 300 and the red one is the Triban 3?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-300-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

Microshift shifters and mech, generic crankset, no carbon fork

uclown2002

Guru
I am 5ft 10 inches.

That bike looks gorgeous.

Bit far away from me, I think it is Manchester?
PM seller; perhaps you can pay for shipping?
or https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/B...f7e45!2m2!1d-2.5969501!2d53.3900441!3e0?hl=en

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm 5'10 (almost) and personally find a M Defy too stretched, but I'm long legged, shorter armed and narrower shouldered than most guys. Stems can be shortened and bars narrowed, but a too big bike is a bad thing especially as the OP has dodgy knees and may struggle to make the dimensions work

Squid lips

I've had a merlin pr7 for nearly 7 months now I'm roughly the same build as the op but 6 foot , never had a problem with the bike , I live in the lakes and the claris gearing is smooth with a good spread of ratios , the mavic wheels are a bit heavy but bombproof , brakes are good and the frame is nice and stiff I got it for £299 + £30 build and delivery charge gone up to £ 350 at the mo but for a new bike with carbon forks and mavic rims and claris gearing I don't think it can be beat I M O ^_^

OP
OP
Paul Burke

Paul Burke

Regular
I'm 5'10 (almost) and personally find a M Defy too stretched, but I'm long legged, shorter armed and narrower shouldered than most guys. Stems can be shortened and bars narrowed, but a too big bike is a bad thing especially as the OP has dodgy knees and may struggle to make the dimensions work

My knee (Left knee) is mostly ok now, I used to smash the skin off golf balls and something went 'POP', physio and rest has repaired the basic parts of the muscle and tendon in the knee, and day to day stuff is fine, but I wouldn't want to start golfing again, for fear of a repeat. (I was quite competitive, and with how much I played I am surprised I lasted as long as I did without injury).

I do like the Pr7 spoken about. Cosmetically it does nothing for me but build wise it sounds excellent.

Top Bottom