Almost got flattened, your opinion please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You're dad was a wise man. :thumbsup: Especially at roundabouts, I NEVER assume anything about a vehicle's intention even when it's signalling, until it's very obvious by the angle which direction it's going in. I may be delayed in my commute by a few seconds, but so - ? ^_^
I do that, when driving as well, but it's a bit different to waiting for every naffing motorist to have gone past at every junction, though. I think you'd die of exposure before getting anywhere if you did that. Just try to be ready to react - emergency turns are useful.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This link and the photo below should give a clearer picture of the road layout (and, helpfully, there's a cyclist taking the position I assume you took!).

There's nothing you can do about the incident that's already happened, all you can do is use the experience to inform how you tackle that junction in future. I don't mean that you did anything wrong, far from it, but you will now be more wary of cars approaching you and maybe looking at position of the driver's hands on the wheel or whether the car is slowing etc. for additional clues as to their next move.

I'm glad you're uninjured although I know how shaken it can make you feel when you have a near miss like that.

My guess is the driver wasn't paying attention and only noticed you once he changed course.

pat5mph.jpg

P.S. Just for clarification: the road you were on is a single carriageway with one lane in each direction, even though there is space for traffic to travel 2 abreast - it has no lane markings.
Also, to be a dual carriageway it needs to have a physical central divide such as a barrier or grass island etc.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
A piece of advice my dad gave to me years ago, before I was even old enough to drive, about junctions was, 'even if the approaching car is not signalling don't assume it won't turn, best waiting until it's gone past' I obviously have never forgot this and for sure it's true....:okay: .... (sometimes)

My dad was one of the road rage idiot drivers that I try to avoid completely in a car or on a bike. I am a very defensive driver and have learned what not to do on the road by watching him when I was a kid.

Him shouting: "Why won't that B**** let me over?! They know I'm trying to get in that lane!!!"
Me quietly: "You don't have your turn signal on..."
Him enraged: "That doesn't matter!!! Any idiot can see I'm trying to get over!!! They just don't want to let me...
(Swerves and cuts other road user off closely on a 75mph expressway)
He once threw a McDonald's milkshake on the hood of a lady's car after getting out and shouting at her for 'taking his parking space' or something.

I assume all drivers are bad at driving and may do something stupid/crazy at any time. This way I can never be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised when they follow the rules of the road.

So sorry about your close call, Pat! Don't let it get you down, I am glad you are alright!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi everybody!
I'm ok, of course commuted today, but used the shared path across, where there are roadworks, and of course some of the barriers fell into the path overnight, so I had to dismount, hehe, serves me right for being a chicken.
Yes, @Slick and @glasgowcyclist that is the very junction, which I have ridden plenty of times during the early hours without any problems, even with buses coming towards me.
Yes, @glasgowcyclist, I was where that cyclist is in your picture, you can see it clearly from my strava where I had to stop suddenly to take a sharp right or he would have crashed into me.
Well, I have seen the car again this morning: he/she was parked in front of the snack shack near the car wash.
It stands to reason as that is the only place he/she could go to work that early in the morning.
They wanted to turn to their right not into the industrial estate to the left of the cyclist in the picture, but to their right a bit further up, over the pavement, in front of their shop.
They were in my lane and did not see me in spite of all the lights.
I could not see the driver's face because of the car lights.
I am off on Monday, will go introduce myself :evil:

@glasgowcyclist the road is Glasgow road (dual carriageway, separated by a ...erm .. middle obstruction) until Rutherglen main street cross, then it becomes 2 lanes (painted) until just passed Arnold Clark, then loses road markings at this tricky bit until just after Halfords, when the lines are marked again, sorry about my mistake :blush:
There probably should be traffic lights of some sort at that junction, I saw a couple of bad car crashes there at rush hour.
As said, I'm pretty sure the driver was headed to that hot roll shop: I will go have a word, if I'm wrong I'm wrong ^_^
Will keep you updated.

boydj

Legendary Member
In my experience, drivers at that time in the morning are often on autopilot and therefore slow to react to anything unusual. All you can do is try to read the situation and prepare for the unexpected.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

In my experience, drivers at that time in the morning are often on autopilot and therefore slow to react to anything unusual. All you can do is try to read the situation and prepare for the unexpected.
Yeah but I'm getting a wee bit fed up with this state of affairs: Pat 5mph better not cycle the road in rush hour, because she might irritate the drivers by being slow, gets beeped and close passed. OK, let's say I can understand this.
But at 6am, on a wide urban road, lit like the proverbial tree - I was doing 17mph by the way - I am starting to relate to the mad web cam bloggers :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Yeah but I'm getting a wee bit fed up with this state of affairs: Pat 5mph better not cycle the road in rush hour, because she might irritate the drivers by being slow, gets beeped and close passed. OK, let's say I can understand this.
But at 6am, on a wide urban road, lit like the proverbial tree - I was doing 17mph by the way - I am starting to relate to the mad web cam bloggers :laugh:
Change of name, after the introduction?

Slick

Guru
It's probably just something that the individual builds up in his own head depending on experience, but I'm always a bit more comfortable with the proper early morning traffic. It's the school run traffic I really try and avoid.

Slick

Guru
Hi everybody!
I'm ok, of course commuted today, but used the shared path across, where there are roadworks, and of course some of the barriers fell into the path overnight, so I had to dismount, hehe, serves me right for being a chicken.
Yes, @Slick and @glasgowcyclist that is the very junction, which I have ridden plenty of times during the early hours without any problems, even with buses coming towards me.
Yes, @glasgowcyclist, I was where that cyclist is in your picture, you can see it clearly from my strava where I had to stop suddenly to take a sharp right or he would have crashed into me.
Well, I have seen the car again this morning: he/she was parked in front of the snack shack near the car wash.
It stands to reason as that is the only place he/she could go to work that early in the morning.
They wanted to turn to their right not into the industrial estate to the left of the cyclist in the picture, but to their right a bit further up, over the pavement, in front of their shop.
They were in my lane and did not see me in spite of all the lights.
I could not see the driver's face because of the car lights.
I am off on Monday, will go introduce myself :evil:

@glasgowcyclist the road is Glasgow road (dual carriageway, separated by a ...erm .. middle obstruction) until Rutherglen main street cross, then it becomes 2 lanes (painted) until just passed Arnold Clark, then loses road markings at this tricky bit until just after Halfords, when the lines are marked again, sorry about my mistake :blush:
There probably should be traffic lights of some sort at that junction, I saw a couple of bad car crashes there at rush hour.
As said, I'm pretty sure the driver was headed to that hot roll shop: I will go have a word, if I'm wrong I'm wrong ^_^
Will keep you updated.
Really sorry to hear of this incident @Pat "5mph", especially if it's pushed you on to a cycle path you don't like. It must have been a real close thing if it has had this affect on you and I almost feel sorry for them for the Monday meet.

In all seriousness though, I hope you do get to speak to the driver. Knowing exactly what they thought they saw before aiming their car for you might help you understand how to avoid it again and let him/her realise there is a person on that bike.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Welcome back Pat. I never thought for a minute they would put you off for long. Stay safe.:thumbsup:
I did not stop cycling, just used the adjacent shared path instead.
Today it was icy, the path is blocked by roadworks, so I said to myself "sod this, I'm riding that junction again!"
Amazingly non of the other road users tried to flatten me :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
I did not stop cycling, just used the adjacent shared path instead.
Today it was icy, the path is blocked by roadworks, so I said to myself "sod this, I'm riding that junction again!"
Amazingly non of the other road users tried to flatten me :laugh:
And Tomorrow?

Top Bottom