Almost killed the car today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Oh, and if you rev the engine quite quickly while keeping the road speed down by slipping the clutch, it prevents water coming into the exhaust pipe. You can get through quite deep puddles like that.;)

Some cars have the air intake low down, behind the bumper*. If you use the technique as described above you will fill the cylinders with water in an instant with disastrous consequences - broken crankshaft, bent con rods. Be very careful!!!

*Like my mate's brand new Renault Espace. Broken crankshaft. New engine cost thousands.

Proto said:
Some cars have the air intake low down, behind the bumper*. If you use the technique as described above you will fill the cylinders with water in an instant with disastrous consequences - broken crankshaft, bent con rods. Be very careful!!!

*Like my mate's brand new Renault Espace. Broken crankshaft. New engine cost thousands.

Right, fair enough. It works on my 2CV.;)

One does not need to rev the engine to prevent water from entering the exhaust. I once reversed a Land Rover and trailer down a slipway at Barnes on the Thames to extract a rather large boat. This was done on a rising tide of course to help the boat onto the trailer. The Land Rover sat there, ticking over for 45 minutes while we secured the boat; all the time the exhaust was submerged. It just gently bubbled and gurgled away. By the time we were ready to go there was about 4" of water in the cab of the Land Rover. No water got into the exhaust.

Proto said:

see my post about my wife's swift

the whole car is lower than an espace and the air intake is low down in the front right wing infront of the wheel

had water above the doors on it.

think the air box might have a water trap tho...

Norm

The drowning diesels thing was specific to Renault, who screwed up with the Espace about a decade ago, something which got a lot of press after it hit Watchdog. I don't think that it's happened with any other manufacturers and Renault sorted it out pretty quickly, but the myth perpetuates in a most unhelpful way.

Top Bottom