Alpe d'Huez ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David5416

Über Member
Seriously thinking of doing the ride up the Alpe d'Huez in late August this year. I am going to drive down there and either camp for a few days or get a little B & B. Anybody done this or got any tips on route down there,places to stay, how the ride was/is etc.

I am going with my wife who is a non cyclist and just want to combine a few days away with another tick off the Bucket list.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I stayed in a nice little town called St Jean de Maurienne which is frequent start and finish for the TdF and the Dauphinée. It's a car drive over the Col du Glandon/Croix de Fer, to the start of the Alpe d'Huez, but a pretty one.
It also is a base for the climb to La Toussuire which features in the tour this year IIRC

Norry1

Legendary Member
I stayed at Bourg D'Oisans which is right at the base of Alpe D'Huez. There are loads of great rides from there - if you contact the Tourist Information office (or find it online) they have a brochure with about 30 rides.

swansonj

Guru
I have only been there once, and I know there are people here who have much more experience, but for what it's worth, we stayed in a small villa in Bourg d'Oisans. My wife drove up to Alpe and took the kids further up the mountain on the cable car system while I did the statutory cycle which made me feel slightly less selfish. Another non-cycling activity for long-suffering partners is the alpine gardens at Lauteret. (Once you've cycled up the Alpe, going round and down the Saurenne is a rather more beautiful and not too much longer alternative to going straight back down it).

ChrisBailey

I stayed at Bourg D'Oisans which is right at the base of Alpe D'Huez. There are loads of great rides from there - if you contact the Tourist Information office (or find it online) they have a brochure with about 30 rides.

+1 I wrote up my ride (plus some other rides) http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/cb2009a

Bourg D'Oisans is easily the best place to stay, wide variety of accommodation and a huge number of climbs beyond l'Alpe d'Huez to explore.

As to getting there, another trip I did with some Irish friends explains some of the travel options. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/cb2012a

I flew to Lyon Easyjet and cycled from there.

Close on the best place to cycle in the whole world.

My picture is climbing l'Alpe d'Huez in 2012....

Chris

When I did the Mamotte we stayed in Alpe D'Huez and we paid a small fortune for something that was in the middle of refurbishment, simply going by that you get ripped off in the town. No way if I had been on my own would I opted for it at the price. Another mate stayed in a campsite at the bottom of the hill for a fraction of the price.

bianchi1

Guru
I like to stay in Allamont which is down the road from Bourg and right. It's a nice quiet village and the "camping calm" is as the name describes....calm!

It also gives you good access to the col du sabot (up through vaujany) which is a truly wonderfull climb, and after the crowded alp a real breath of fresh air.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'll be riding up the Alpe d'Huez, and also the Col du Glandon/Croix de Fer, in September, during the 1 week cycling tour I've recently booked. I'm really looking forward to it. :smile:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Close on the best place to cycle in the whole world.

Yeah, only a couple of hours away ... ;)

jongooligan

Legendary Member
+1 for camping at the bottom. It's a good site, cheap with a bar, pizzeria and swimming pool. Turn left from the entrance and you're on the climb. It's a short walk in to Bourg d'Oisans and perfectly positioned for lots of other great rides. Col d'Ornon, Col du Morte loop across the other side of the valley is a beaut.

cnb

Veteran
+2 For staying at the campsite at the bottom...Good site and as i remember it had individual pitches divided by hedges.I also think it had some self catering chalets...Handy for the climb itself and also some good rides out..

OP
OP
David5416

David5416

Über Member
Thanks to all for your suggestions , makes me want to go sooner now. Think i wll probably extend the trip to a week now as well.

I like to stay in Allamont which is down the road from Bourg and right. It's a nice quiet village and the "camping calm" is as the name describes....calm!

Also as a fantastic Pizzeria ! Another vote for Allemond. If you have a head for heights then the balcony roads are spectacular as is the col de sarenne :smile:

Big T

Guru
We stayed at the Belladonne campsite about 4 miles down the valley from Bourg near Allemond. Rode the Alpe, Lauteret/Galibier, Deux Alpes, Croix de Fer and Col d'Ornon. All within easy riding distance of Bourg.

The Alpe is probably the hardest thing I've ever done, took me 1hr 45 to the top and I punctured twice on the descent due to overheating rims!

It's about 600 miles from Calais. We drove down and used the toll roads. About 70 euros each way in tolls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom