Alpina mystery bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dimrub

As I told here, I'm volunteering fixing bikes for people who got stuck in the city, away from home. People bring over bikes of all kinds in all conditions, but mostly kids bikes, some MTB, and now and then a city bike (these are naturally in high demand). So it's only natural that this beauty caught my eye:

gCgnHrIonZ9ADOI0m1e4=w1748-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

The woman who runs this project looked at the way I looked at this bike, and said that I can have it. Granted, this classic 80s road bike with shifting on the headset is of no use to folks who just want to get somewhere, and besides, getting it back to a reasonable working trim is not a reasonable task in the context of this project - but it's very reasonable as a crazy pet project for yours truly, outside of my volunteering hours. So renew it I will attempt.

But first I wanted to figure out who are we dealing with here. Unfortunately, I was being stupid, so I didn't take a proper photo of the writing on the top tube. "Alpina" led me to a defunct South African manufacturer, who was either buying frames from Italy, or producing its own based on Italian design. I was unable to google up a photo of one just like I have here - with the shifters on the headset, the rear rack and the place for a dynamo. I can only imagine how a South African bicycle turned up in Tel-Aviv - I think it may have to do something with the fact, that Israel, itself under the Arab embargo at the time, was one of the few countries willing to trade with the Apartheid RSA.

I haven't looked at it too close yet, but here's what I saw:
- Everything that can be stuck is stuck: the front wheel, the bottom bracket, so everything needs to be taken apart, degreased, regreased.
- Lots of rust everywhere, but fortunately not on the spokes (the stories I could tell!)
- The left pedal is screwed in sideways and needs to be replaced. I don't want plastic there, so I may end up ordering an aluminium one from China. I hope the crank arm is ok.
- The wheels are fine and true (which is a small wonder), but the tires are gone, so new ones will need to be sourced.
- The dynamo is long gone, but there's one - a completely unnecessary one - on one of the donor bikes (our term for bikes that are dead, but can still donate parts in order to save other bikes' lives). Interestingly, all the cables on this bike - both brakes and gears - are out in the open, as befits the era, but the wire from the dynamo to the rear light is routed through the frame. The headlamp is there, though I'm not sure whether it works, and the rear one is gone and will need to be replaced.
- Cables, noodles, casings, chain need to be replaced (and dork disc removed), that goes without saying.
- I think the freewheel is fine, which is a relief and a surprise too.
- The seat is serviceable, although I'd prefer something classier, if this comes through.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Forget about the dynamo :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks similar to US bikes made in the same era, probably 70's. Can't see from the pic but looks like lugless steel frame, no integrated hanger. Might have been made for mail order catalogue.
What make is the derailleur?
Once fixed could make a useful utility runaround.
Good luck with it.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

A few more photos

Attachments

• PXL_20231227_123031789.jpg
    PXL_20231227_123031789.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20231227_123025078.jpg
    PXL_20231227_123025078.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20231227_123021528.jpg
    PXL_20231227_123021528.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20231227_123017609.jpg
    PXL_20231227_123017609.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20231227_123014301.jpg
    PXL_20231227_123014301.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 42

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nice find - looks like a decent little project as long as the seized bits don't drive you mental.

From the steel rims and other components it looks fairly budget; while I'd suggest the cotter'd crank dates it to around the '70s, although could be later if lower-end stuff retained this standard for longer.

Should be a nice little runaround if you can get it going :smile:

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Oh, another nice touch - fittings for the pump on the down frame. Judging by the distance between them, the pump was about half a meter long, totally worthless, and of course, I absolutely have to have it now!

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

And also: strip and repaint - touch up - leave as is? I'm torn on this. The paint is in a pretty decent shape, but not ideal.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

Alpina is indeed from South Africa and no, it isn't a catalogue bike or house brand. It was handmade in Johannesburg up to the late 1980s or early 1990s. I visited the factory after the family stopped making bikes and bought a few things from them, including a frame jig and some lugs. IIRC these were Cinelli BB lugs and Campag drop-outs. I later built al frame with those lugs on the jig that I got from them and I still have that frame today. The OPs bike is pre-1990s, after that Alpina followed the world-wide trend of going with Neon colours and then it all went tits-up for the local manufacturers, of which there were at least three I knew of - Alpina, DHC and Western Flyer/Raleigh (these two could have been one company, I can't remember).

Alpina would have had a few bikes in its line-up - that particular one looks like it has Suntour shifters.

The South African local manufacturer scene went quiet after that but Raleigh (not related to Raleigh UK) made a comeback in the early 2000s. Later on brands such as Pyga, Morewood and Momsen made their mark. I don't know if Pyga and Morewood are still going, but Momsen is.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

So I thought we had it all figured out: a defunct South African manufacturer, Italian design, etc. Well, not really. Or maybe yes.

I went back today, fixed some MTBs and also took some more photos of the enigma Alpina. Exhibit 1:

GfOPNx3ek1ri6PH-nwO4=w1748-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

A bit hard to read, isn't it? So here's Exhibit 2:

p_BpyABEKxR_Tc1_dFnw=w1748-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Made in W. Germany. So, we got the "Republic" part right, but the geographic direction, the toponim and even the hemisphere are all wrong. On the other thing, W. Germany gives us terminus ante quem of 1989, before the Wiedervereinigung. But what it is then?

This photo shows the Alpina emblem in the form of stylised flower, or maybe a wheat stalk:

5rDHqwT7onkGnuLeSCNM=w1748-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Which is very similar to the emblem appearing here, definitely in reference to the South African manufacturer. So what's going on here? Did Alpina have a branch in Germany? Or maybe it's the other way around, and it was a German company that opened a branch in S. Africa?

Let us move on. The front deraileur and the shifters are by a manufacturer called Sachs-Huret:

WYSCDPEfxT1z8huwxmjk=w1748-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

yicCptmzAkNkAM345Kns=w1748-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I found some info on it here.

The rear deraileur is yet another mystery. What is this writing, Martian?

Rj8OwtlhjgD0QUnMod84=w1748-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I can't read it, can't even figure out which way to read it. Anyone?

I took a photo of the model name - Sporting:

0fkFCRUsHdX3Gw42vmPI=w1748-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Google doesn't seem to know anything about Alpina Sporting, except this ad on a Hungarian site (the bike there is VERY similar to mine, down to the decals, minus the color). Here, though, someone was in a similar situation to mine, and according to the answers, Alpina Sporting was one of the brands used by a German manufacturer of entry level bikes, called Kynast. There are a few more that were sold over the years: this one, this one, and this one, however, none of those have the shifters on the head tube - but rather on the down tube, as opposed to mine:

VsFrtmGRsEQi0ezk7qYA=w1748-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Strange. Could it be an after market alteration?

Speaking of after market. The tires are gone, and those were Kenda 27 x 1 1/4, perhaps original, given how badly worn they were:

JbFmdLV4DW7GfEqPFZ1I=w1748-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

However, the handlerbar is covered not with a tape, as befits a road bike, but rather these strange grips:

BI8uFV7gJJ5hLmoNvYmKM=w553-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Those look almost new. I mean, could those be original? I'm not sure.

What else? There's this (I'm guessing here) bottle fitting:

uDCeKnhDxcLF_w1CHsHs=w1748-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

It's a gonner, but I'll want a new one, of course.

I'm starting to think of a list of things to buy. Aside from that bottle fitting, I definitely need new tires and inner tubes - I'll also want to replace the rim tape. I can get new cables and housings for free, and getting a new chain is no problem. The other parts seem to be ok, at least at this point. I'll probably need a rear light and a dynamo (as I said, perhaps I'll get a dynamo off another bike). The seat is torn, so I'll want a new one, and perhaps I'll splurge for a leather one - even though it may not be the most authentic solution. Pedals, of course, and perhaps crank arms, depending on whether the thread is ruined on the left one. While at it, I'll probably want a new set of brake pads. Ah, and the pump. Any suggestions as to where can I find all of this stuff, that would result in a historically viable bicycle are most welcome.

Oh, and on a second thought, yes, I want to repaint it. I need a way to remake the decals though. Apparently, I can do the decals myself, all I need for that is a free software, an inkjet printer and a vinyl page from a crafts shop. Sounds doable. Got some here.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
How interesting. This is a real mystery. It's definitely a low end model and the name 'Sporting' isn't something you'd find on top of the range model, like the lugless frame and basic components, 27" steel wheels, more like a model made for a chain, mail order or catalogue. I hope with a bit more research you can get to the bottom of it.
Good luck.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

It's definitely a low end model
Yup. I'm trying to figure out the reason for my fascination with this bike. Is it the recently devoured books by Tim Moore, where he rides huge distances on restored vintage bikes (some of them in that same low end category)? Is it the amount of destruction surrounding us, that calls for something once valuable to be restored, as a token of resistance against the irresistible enthropy? Is it just a midlife crisis, that demands that the inevitability of aging and death be proven wrong by taking something old and making it new again - the kind that some treat by getting a sports car, or starting an affair? Whatever it is, it's a pretty powerful urge. And I don't even know what I'll do with them. When I told my son about this project, he got quite excited, but he doesn't need it either - he's got a great gravel bike. I think I'll just sell it and donate the proceeds to the evacuees, minus the parts - after all, the bike was donated to them, so they're kind of entitled to it.

I finally understand people who restore the likes of Trabant or the VW Beetle (or Susitas here in Israel - the body was made of fiberglass and an urban legend claims the camels loved eating them), then drive them around.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

I took those photos yesterday, rubbed the front wheel for a little while (this amazing feeling when the shiny chrome starts showing through the dull and rusty surface), then the sun was setting and I didn't have light anymore, so I went for a cup of tea at a nearby cafe.

mj7viGvdUWHTwO2a2scg=w1748-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Top Bottom