Alpina mystery bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Christmas came early this year (or late last year?) Anyway, almost all of the components I've ordered for the Alpina have arrived:

_yZrd-oW1hXz_pn0A6e4=w1305-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

However the missing component is kind of critical - it's those inner tubes that I was supposed to get together with the tires, but didn't. Still, I can put the rim tape, and install the saddle, and then, plenty of work on the other bikes.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Got the rim tape on. First time doing that, so I hope I did a reasonable job of it. The tape might have been a tiny bit too wide, but I think it was the narrowest on sale. Still waiting for the inner tubes, so this is stuck again.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

We're getting there...

kIhwAkZZN0TU-r20P02J=w1305-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Still waiting for the tubes, but once they arrive, it's tubes in, wheels on, chain on, rear mech on, some adjustments and done.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Getting there...

2Lddb7IN7WlfmNcEpwkk=w1305-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Did I put gumwall tires, golden chain, an armchair saddle and a fake vintage saddle bag on the first bike I restored? I did. Do I regret anything? I don't.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Ok, my TODO list for this bike is empty. Here we go:
kO_gfXB8-0-K-j-0hpG4=w1305-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

IHhlb-7tiaHWpAO2CxFk=w1305-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

AZBraHjomBBTjcMYkBzZ=w1305-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

BYfzKEg5QB7h5eARbTwU=w1305-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

EIOM1Pne8tPHOrJ53V2E=w1305-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I did a test ride, and it was mildly terrifying. It's all wrong (for me, with my riding habits). The handlebar is too low, the brake levers - too far (I was prewarned, and didn't try to use the "suicide levers"), the tires too slim, not to mention my complete lack of experience with unindexed gears. Oh, and did I say the TODO list is empty? Well it's time to start filling it in again. Because either the BB axle or the crankset is misaligned, the rear brake is not adjusted properly, the rear wheel might be a bit out of true, and the front mech is kind of meh, but maybe it's because of the BB axle. But I can still hardly believe it: I brought a bike from the dead, and the ticking of its freewheel is like music to my ears.

I first laid my eyes on it on Dec 27, which means it took 43 days, most of which were idle due to waiting for the parts to arrive. I spent circa $135 on said parts, and got the bike itself for free. I also spent an unspecified sum on the tools and materials, to be used on future projects. And, like in that VISA commercial, the experience I gained fixing it, and the fun I had - priceless.

Top Bottom