Alston to Penrith route via Hartside Top?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beastie

Guru
Simple answer to your question is 'yes', the C2C route from Rowley Bank to Sunderland is all either cinder track, hard-pack, or asphalt, so would be fine on 23mm tyres, if a bit uncomfortable for some stretches.

However, Rowley Bank is in Castleside, almost Consett, which is about 14 miles from Stanhope.

It's the bit from Stanhope up to Parkhead Station that you need to be careful on.

Simplest way is use the B6278 to take on Crawleyside Bank to Parkhead - it's all road, so no worries apart from the gradient.

There's a track of sorts beside the road to the east, but it's not suitable for 23mm tyres.

From Parkhead, it's 10 miles of plain sailing to Consett in all senses, all down hill and all on well-made or asphalt track.
Thanks muchly for the info

beastie

Guru
Yes, many a road cyclist use it as a through route. And Whilst a couple of built up areas get scattered glass, thorns likely strike more often.

Rowley is where I rejoined on my Saturday Parkhead circular. The Parkhead to Rowley track is fine when dry, but heavy going when damp.
Many thanks for the info

beastie

Guru
Yes, many a road cyclist use it as a through route. And Whilst a couple of built up areas get scattered glass, thorns likely strike more often.

Rowley is where I rejoined on my Saturday Parkhead circular. The Parkhead to Rowley track is fine when dry, but heavy going when damp.

Simple answer to your question is 'yes', the C2C route from Rowley Bank to Sunderland is all either cinder track, hard-pack, or asphalt, so would be fine on 23mm tyres, if a bit uncomfortable for some stretches.

However, Rowley Bank is in Castleside, almost Consett, which is about 14 miles from Stanhope.

It's the bit from Stanhope up to Parkhead Station that you need to be careful on.

Simplest way is use the B6278 to take on Crawleyside Bank to Parkhead - it's all road, so no worries apart from the gradient.

There's a track of sorts beside the road to the east, but it's not suitable for 23mm tyres.

From Parkhead, it's 10 miles of plain sailing to Consett in all senses, all down hill and all on well-made or asphalt track.

Well we did our C2C this weekend, with amazing weather. We ended up heading to Tynemouth instead of Sunderland, leaving the main route at Consett and following the Derwent way down to the Tyne. The Waskerly Way was great on 25 mm tyres, some of the best cycling fun I have had. After that there was a bit of single track for 2 miles or so which was pretty rough before the surface was back to pretty smooth after that.

Thanks both for the info. Without it we would probably have stuck to roads

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I was up in that direction for the first time ever, with a car (no bike ... sob!), and I'd love to have descended from Hartside top on the bike (other than the first time when I went over it, when it was in cloud for much of it). It was still blowing a hoolie on the way back up, but the view was sublime (see below). I was back there a couple of days later, and despite lovely weather, the descent on the main road was still quiet, and I sobbed a little more for not having a bike.

Incidentally, yes, the cafe has sublime views, and was busy, but don't go there for the choice of coffee (it was either stewed filter or instant 'latte'), or if you want to pay by card of any description.

dsc04365-copy1.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Well we did our C2C this weekend, with amazing weather. We ended up heading to Tynemouth instead of Sunderland, leaving the main route at Consett and following the Derwent way down to the Tyne. The Waskerly Way was great on 25 mm tyres, some of the best cycling fun I have had. After that there was a bit of single track for 2 miles or so which was pretty rough before the surface was back to pretty smooth after that.

Thanks both for the info. Without it we would probably have stuck to roads

Thanks for the thanks.

I imagine the rough single track was where you turned left at the mineral wagon - the crossroads in the pic below.

You may not pass that way again, but if you do you can continue to the next junction - the path ends at a roundabout by a Morrison's supermarket - and turn left there.

There's a cycle path beside the road which passes Tesco, and you can pick up the Derwent valley route just after that.

Very little in it distance-wise, and all on hard surface.

Parkhead.6.1.jpg

beastie

Guru
Thanks for the thanks.

I imagine the rough single track was where you turned left at the mineral wagon - the crossroads in the pic below.

You may not pass that way again, but if you do you can continue to the next junction - the path ends at a roundabout by a Morrison's supermarket - and turn left there.

There's a cycle path beside the road which passes Tesco, and you can pick up the Derwent valley route just after that.

Very little in it distance-wise, and all on hard surface.

View attachment 131137
Yup, you are right. Despite visiting the NE many times I had never been down Derwent Park. It's lovely.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yup, you are right. Despite visiting the NE many times I had never been down Derwent Park. It's lovely.

Nice run down from Consett as you say.

I'm not a big fan of the NCN route 14 along the south of the Tyne towards the coast.

The bit past the MetroCentre and Dunston strikes me as messy and it can be hard to follow.

An option is to nip over Scotswood Bridge and pick up NCN 72 towards Newcastle quayside.

More straightforward and a bit flatter, although neither is significantly hilly.

beastie

Guru
Nice run down from Consett as you say.

I'm not a big fan of the NCN route 14 along the south of the Tyne towards the coast.

The bit past the MetroCentre and Dunston strikes me as messy and it can be hard to follow.

An option is to nip over Scotswood Bridge and pick up NCN 72 towards Newcastle quayside.

More straightforward and a bit flatter, although neither is significantly hilly.

The bit past the metro was crap. We stopped for a beer by the river in front of the sage then crossed the millennium bridge and finished at the hotel in Tynemouth.

Had a great meal in Longsands Fish Kitchen.

Top Bottom