Alston to Penrith route via Hartside Top?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
I am looking at doing a short tour, and it is this small secton of the long day route I am unsure about.

On the descent I would prefer to stay on the main road, but is it a comfortable experience for an eperienced cyclist?

Thanks all.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I am looking at doing a short tour, and it is this small secton of the long day route I am unsure about.

On the descent I would prefer to stay on the main road, but is it a comfortable experience for an eperienced cyclist?

Thanks all.

I've only driven it, the sharp bends and less than sharp motorcyclists do not make cycling it an enticing prospect.

You might be aware, but the C2C route - NCN 7 - misses out much of the main road descent, but is still mostly on proper roads.

I think the first bit is a gravel track.

http://binged.it/1ULs8DH

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Thanks all.

There's nothing to fear. I've traversed it half a dozen times on a loaded touring bike. I'd advise against taking the 'short cut' on the Hartside hairpin. The surface was terrible and it's a long push rather than a pedal. Stick to the road you'll be fine.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I totally agree with vernon, the shortcut is no shortcut at, stick on the road. Traffic is not a problem at all either, everyone seems very considerate.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've only cycled up it, but driven it lots. Had no problems on the bike (apart from the wind, knackered muscles etc, but that's not the kind of problem you're bothered about!). In the car I've never noticed other cars acting like idiots.

beastie

Guru
It's a lovely descent! Takes about 10 minutes (30mph). If you aren't in a rush then it'll take 15 mins freewheeling, the road surface is ok and it is a steady -5 % all the way to melmerby. He main road is so quiet there is no need to go via Renwick.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
It's a lovely descent! Takes about 10 minutes (30mph). If you aren't in a rush then it'll take 15 mins freewheeling, the road surface is ok and it is a steady -5 % all the way to melmerby. He main road is so quiet there is no need to go via Renwick.
last time I was there Melmerby had a nice cafe with the bakery (but it was a long time ago, so don't count on it...)

beastie

Guru
last time I was there Melmerby had a nice cafe with the bakery (but it was a long time ago, so don't count on it...)
There is a nice bakery, and the tea rooms also which are better than appearances suggest. The cafe at the top of Hartside is worth a stop just for the view out the window.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
Well,I chickened out, instead heading to Appleby. Even that was fairly tough against the wind over the only big climb, that being Eggleton/Grassholme to Brough.

Coming back, what little wind there was a westerley tail which made the same Brough to Middleton-In-Teesdale climb comfortable.
So much so I stuck to going over the moors, doing the grand Bollihope climb from Middleton to Stanhope, then followed by the Stanhope Crawleyside bank climb.

I am still planning on doing that Ullswater trip, to be made easier by the lighter nights.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
Interestingly I started my Lakes tour on what looks to be the day that inpired Pale Rider to start his longest climb thread.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-longest-climb.199164/

The outward journey had mild west wind a.m. increasing towards moderate p.m. so I avoided that gentle but very exposed 10 mild climb to Parkhead, choosing to head along te Tyne to Hexham for a more southward heading p.m. route.
Therefore out was the climb towards Stublick Chimney, followed by the climb onto Alston Moor from Whitfield, followed by the climb to Hartside top followed by a Pakhead like drag from Penrith past Ullswater to my stay at the base of the Kirkstone Pass.

The return route Wednesday was westerly too so Hartside was like a lamb, though the climbs up from Garrigal and later up Crawleyside Bank for tge Parkhead descent roared.
It was again, one hell of a route on a loaded bike, but very successful in that my knees held out, the dodgy one only playing up on a gentle 35 miler, back in the saddle, from home today.

beastie

Guru
I've only driven it, the sharp bends and less than sharp motorcyclists do not make cycling it an enticing prospect.

You might be aware, but the C2C route - NCN 7 - misses out much of the main road descent, but is still mostly on proper roads.

I think the first bit is a gravel track.

http://binged.it/1ULs8DH
I am doing the C2C this weekend. I am familiar with the route from Whitehaven to Stanhope. After that would you say that the route is suitable for road bikes with 23 mm tyres between Rowley Bank and Sunderland?

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
I am doing the C2C this weekend. I am familiar with the route from Whitehaven to Stanhope. After that would you say that the route is suitable for road bikes with 23 mm tyres between Rowley Bank and Sunderland?
Yes, many a road cyclist use it as a through route. And Whilst a couple of built up areas get scattered glass, thorns likely strike more often.

Rowley is where I rejoined on my Saturday Parkhead circular. The Parkhead to Rowley track is fine when dry, but heavy going when damp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
I've only driven it, the sharp bends and less than sharp motorcyclists do not make cycling it an enticing prospect...
It was a comfortable route, enough so that I stayed on the main road all the way to Penrith.

Langwathby to Penrith is slightly busy and too narrow, so it might be best turning back onto the main cycle route there if you have the legs.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Simple answer to your question is 'yes', the C2C route from Rowley Bank to Sunderland is all either cinder track, hard-pack, or asphalt, so would be fine on 23mm tyres, if a bit uncomfortable for some stretches.

However, Rowley Bank is in Castleside, almost Consett, which is about 14 miles from Stanhope.

It's the bit from Stanhope up to Parkhead Station that you need to be careful on.

Simplest way is use the B6278 to take on Crawleyside Bank to Parkhead - it's all road, so no worries apart from the gradient.

There's a track of sorts beside the road to the east, but it's not suitable for 23mm tyres.

From Parkhead, it's 10 miles of plain sailing to Consett in all senses, all down hill and all on well-made or asphalt track.

Top Bottom