The longest climb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What is the longest - not steepest - climb you've done?

My ride today was Consett in County Durham to Parkhead Station along the C2C path - about 10 miles and nearly all uphill.

None of it is steep, apart from the ramp in this first pic which wouldn't be there had someone not decided to bury the old railway tunnel/bridge and send us cyclists over the top.

Parkhead.1.jpg

The next pic is one of the flattish sections, I've always liked this woodland not least because it forms a break from the headwind, which is an all but permanent feature of doing the ride in this direction.

Parkhead.2.jpg

It's a steady pull up to where this next pic was taken, no trees here, or much else for that matter.

Parkhead.3.jpg

Another couple of miles of standard British Rail gradient to go to reach Parkhead Station.

A welcome sight after the long drag into the wind.

Parkhead.4.jpg

As close to 10 miles of constant climbing as you will get.

May as well get a couple of pics on the way back down.

This is another flat bit, Hownsgill Viaduct.

Some poor souls still choose to end it all by jumping off it, despite the extra metalwork.

Parkhead.5.jpg

Finally, a pic of the junction of four paths just outside Consett.

Choice here of Newcastle, Durham, or the C2C to Whitehaven or Sunderland.

It's 'Consett 2' for me, where happily my car is parked, because I'm a bit cream crackered by now.

Parkhead.6.jpg

Cragg Vale - the subject of another thread - is 5.5 miles and what we might call a 'proper climb'.

But I reckon there can't be many longer uphill stretches than Consett to Parkhead.

Over to you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Puerto de Tudons climb near Benidorm from the Sella side. According to this it is 15.3 km at an average gradient of 5%. Not an absolute killer but it always got my back hurting by the time I was 2/3 of the way up.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
15+ miles over the Col de la Faucille in the Jura Mountains last year with @Trickedem . It was actually a very enjoyable climb. Not too steep, great tarmac, quite roads, some nice zig zags, fantastic views and glorious speedy descents (50mph+)

Later this year, myself, Trickedem and @rb58 will be doing the 27 mile climb of the Pico de Valeta (Europe's highest road) in Spain. Bring it on...!!

upload_2016-4-17_16-47-10.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Puerto de Tudons climb near Benidorm from the Sella side. According to this it is 15.3 km at an average gradient of 5%. Not an absolute killer but it always got my back hurting by the time I was 2/3 of the way up.

That trumps mine.

I don't know the elevation gain from Consett to Parkhead - perhaps someone could post it - but I doubt it amounts to much.

User269

Yes! One of my favourite rides, and one of my favourite areas. Did this loop from Guadelest on my 60th, hugely enjoyable despite being post viral!

Untitled2.jpg Untitled3.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 78

User269

That trumps mine.

I don't know the elevation gain from Consett to Parkhead - perhaps someone could post it - but I doubt it amounts to much.

I thought your pics looked familiar............ I did the C2C 16 years ago..............very nice, and like you found today, hardly anyone around.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've had quite a few, but two I remember for their relentlessness are this one in Victoria, Australia (fully loaded) in the Australian summer:

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Glen...430a0c830!2m2!1d143.3911682!2d-38.6806911!3e1

and this (also fully loaded) at the French/Spanish border early December:

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Clos...8ad00bb0845242!2m2!1d2.863136!2d42.464436!3e1

Here's the Google Maps profile of Consett to Parkhead:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/C...e1543!2m2!1d-1.9972581!2d54.7834112!3e1?hl=en

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I thought your pics looked familiar............ I did the C2C 16 years ago..............very nice, and like you found today, hardly anyone around.

The pics might be a bit misleading, there were a few other cyclists at Parkhead when I got there, and quite a few going the other way on my way back.

It was literally freezing when I set off, leading to a couple of minor skids early on.

Generally, I expect the path is quite a bit busier than when you did it.

Top Bottom