Coast to Coast by road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GBJS

Hi Folks

I know it's been done a thousand times but I'm looking for some advice

I am attempting to organise C2C (Whitehaven to Sunderland) for myself and two mates purely by road in June. We are looking at doing it over two days but not sure of the best route more to the point do we include Wiggos way or stick to the "Original route"

If it's the original one Im guessing Alston to be the most suitable stopping point but not sure if we go via Wiggos way.

Thoughts please and if I'm really lucky an actual route would be great

Thanks

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Have a look at a site called Plotaroute and you can sort out a route for yourself.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've got to ask; why all road? The bit between Whitehaven and near Keswick is fine. From there there's a road route on the C2C map and a road route is possible up to Parkhead Station, when a road route is signed.

I'm asking because I'm doing the ride in May/June with my youngest, mostly on road, and we're staying in Alston overnight.

OP
OP
G

GBJS

Thanks for the advice everyone

The reason I mentioned roads was just because we are doing it on road bikes but I see the start is fine so will probably just go with that

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice everyone

The reason I mentioned roads was just because we are doing it on road bikes but I see the start is fine so will probably just go with that

The last mile or two of the path towards Parkhead Station in County Durham is a bit iffy for a road bike.

A lot of C2C riders take the lane from Rookhope to Stanhope, then the B road up to Parkhead.

That also gives you the opportunity to tackle Crawleyside Bank, which is one of the 'name' climbs in County Durham.

^ that climb was my worst of my c2c a few years back. I'd just done 60miles with a stretch on my own (friends wanted to avoid some climbs) and was trying to catch them. Just wasn't prepared for that size of climb!

ianbarton

Veteran
Just to add to what has already been said. You can avoid the railway track outside Keswick by going along the road past Castlerigg Stone Circle. I have done the railway track on a hybrid, but can't remember if it would be OK on a road bike. Also I think part of it may have washed away in the recent floods. Don't try and follow the off road section from the top of Whinlatter, just carry straight on along the road.

If you are going to Tynemouth, you can't take bikes on the metro, you will have to cycle back into Newcastle. If you are getting back to Whitehaven by train the Carlisle to Whitehaven train only has three bike spaces, which can't be booked in advance. You may be able to take more bikes if you get a friendly conductor.

We did Whitehaven to Penrith on day one. Then to Allenheads on day two. In retrospect we would have been better carrying onto Stanhope, as day two was quite short. Crawley Bank is undoubtedly the toughest climb on the route!

Edit: If I was doing it in two days, I would go all the way to Allenheads on day one.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In retrospect we would have been better carrying onto Stanhope, as day two was quite short. Crawley Bank is undoubtedly the toughest climb on the route!

Which presumably is why some C2C riders press on the few miles to Parkhead Station, which does bed and breakfast.

With Crawleyside out of the way, day three would be a relatively easy mostly downhill run to the coast.

D

Deleted member 23692

You can avoid the railway track outside Keswick by going along the road past Castlerigg Stone Circle.
For any one reading this thread, The Keswick-Threlkeld cycleway is currently closed and will be so for a good while until the flood damage is put right.

Top Bottom