Coast to Coast by road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Were the natives friendly?

Yes, although no cash machine anywhere nearby made for a quiet evening.

Lpoolck

Veteran
Just to add to what has already been said. You can avoid the railway track outside Keswick by going along the road past Castlerigg Stone Circle. I have done the railway track on a hybrid, but can't remember if it would be OK on a road bike. Also I think part of it may have washed away in the recent floods. Don't try and follow the off road section from the top of Whinlatter, just carry straight on along the road.

If you are going to Tynemouth, you can't take bikes on the metro, you will have to cycle back into Newcastle. If you are getting back to Whitehaven by train the Carlisle to Whitehaven train only has three bike spaces, which can't be booked in advance. You may be able to take more bikes if you get a friendly conductor.

We did Whitehaven to Penrith on day one. Then to Allenheads on day two. In retrospect we would have been better carrying onto Stanhope, as day two was quite short. Crawley Bank is undoubtedly the toughest climb on the route!

Edit: If I was doing it in two days, I would go all the way to Allenheads on day one.

Agree with everything, although I would recommend staying in Alston - there is a youth hostel and its set up for cyclist so its perfect. I found it also to be a great half way marker when doing it in two days.

beastie

Guru
Have just completed Whitehaven to Tynemouth over two days. We followed the signed route 71 until Whinlatter, then stuck to the road until Keswick. From there we followed the road route to Penrith, then Hartside, stopping At Alston.
On Day 2 we climbed up past Nenthead then stuck with the main road to Stanhope, then up Crawleyside to Parkhead Station. After that we followed the Waskerly Way to Consett, then the Derwent Way to the Tyne(all on well surfaced off road but pretty much fine for road bikes.) After that it was tarmac paths all the way to Tynemouth.

Overall I pushed a 400 metre stretch after Consett and the rest was fine for a road bike.

Polly86

We've just gone via the wiggo-way and it was a nice alternative. The roads are good quality and quiet as it avoids the classic car and motorbike coast to coast route. Highly recommened

robing

Über Member
I did my own C2C in 2012. I started in Whitehaven and finished in Scarborough for easier rail connections. I went via Hardknott and Wrynose Pass, Kendal, Hawes, then via Swaledale to Richmond - Scotch Corner - Northallerton - Scarborough. Was a fab trip and superb weather.

Top Bottom