altered my commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
to remove three roundabouts. it now involves going over an overhead bridge and through the pedestrianised area of town. much safer, and even though it adds 1/2k onto the journey, it doesn't take noticeably longer.

i'd rather ride slowly to avoid running over pedestrians (not many around at the relevant times anyway) than riding slowly hoping not to be knocked over on the roundabout.

anyone else tweeked their commute to reduce the risk?

Maz

Guru
Whats wrong with the RABs? Was one of them the one you mentioned in your other thread?

A change is as good as a break, I suppose, so go for it.

Dunno. Maybe your riding style could be modified to reduce risk. Go in primary etc.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
more about fancying a change really, i'm not remotely scared of busy traffic and i will ride aggressively in primary if i feel the situation demands it.

just playing the numbers game really, fewer roundabouts, the less chance of getting knocked off.

besides, the steep ramps on the overhead bridge allow for some power sprinting practice.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
John the Monkey said:
Roundabouts are buggers - if I could miss out the three nasties on my route from Wilmslow, I'd do it - good on you Alecs.

which ones? i'm in macc but grew up in wilmslow. the king's arms is a bit of a pain in the arse to negotiate right enough.

Only done it once during some major roadworks on a dual carriageway in winter. Not only was everyone squeezed into one lane but the surface was ripped up, the overhead lights off and the pavement ripped up. I couldn't walk around, I couldn't see the surface and having to ride slowly on it meant holding everyone up for two miles. I changed my route.

Keith Oates

Janner
Being able to change the commute route is good because it keeps the interest higher on some days. However Alecs, to do it so that the dangerous spots are less makes even more sense!!!!!!!!!!!!

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
yep I've increased mind by about 5k - avoiding the farm track thats basically 2Km of mud at this time of year - hoping this will extend component life as well as making bike cleaning/maintainance easier.

Im not changing my commute today and I think if I did change my commute the commute would be more dodgy.

Tynan

Veteran
I find the best route, broad basket of reasons, right turns off busy roads are out, big roundabouts out unless called for, I usually go for whatever is quickest and easiest which normally means getting onto the main roads and staying there, I find them smoothest and safest

if they'd just get shot of those bloody lights

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I am forever altering mine... (I work in various different bits of the city), but I'm always on the look out for an improvement to a route could be less busy section (not that I'm afraid but it gives the senses a bit of a rest), avoiding a hill or junction where I've had problems etc.

Plus its good to know all the alternatives incase the main route is blocked for what ever reason.

My main problem at the moment is exiting a large RAB (under the M32) - two lane exit and I keep being cut up on the exit with cars insisting on overtaking me in that first lane. I go around the RAB in Primary position but its a hill on exiting and I keep drifting towards secondary and they keep on not pulling out to overtake.

Would I be considered strange if I said I actually enjoy cycling around roundabouts?! B)

I find as a bike you can actually progress faster through them than cars. On approaching a roundabout I can look for gaps that a car would not consider due to my improved acceleration at low speeds and my maneuverability. It's when I'm driving the car I find them a pain.

(The secret is to take you lane like a car as I am sure most of you if not all of you do)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
magnatom said:
(The secret is to take you lane like a car as I am sure most of you if not all of you do)
I agree - though I get scared by the number of cyclists I see going around the edge... particuly James Barton RAB. There was one cyclist going under the M32 moterway who though going straight on had stuck to the edge of the left lane (it filters off to the motorway), and had held up traffic. I shouted as I went by that she should be in the middle of a lane. She caught me up B), told me she hadn't heard what I said very politely, so I told her as quick as I could about primary position on roundabouts.

Afterwards I wondered whether I did right or not ... will she understand why she needs to be there? And I should of mentioned Cyclecraft too.

Evolution!

My commut(s) bear no reseemblance at all to the routes I took ten years ago when I first started at these sites.

Roadworks, improvements / disimprovements, traffic calming all have an effect and will alter permanently or temporarily the route. Plus of course there are pubs, long summer evenings, traffic accidents and a thousand other reasons to change.

I changed my way in to avoid a cycle lane because its design was SO poor. But I come home a different way to avoid traffic calming measures that cause nasty pinch points.

There are minor changes due to roadworks, and then alternative routes to increase the distance every now & again.

Top Bottom