Alternative Juice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys

I have been hooked with the guy on youtube "durianrider" and picking up tips as I go along, is there an alternative to the Guava drink he is drinking in the UK?

Also any advice on the high carb, low fat diet for a diabetic?

Will be speaking to my consultant at next appt but wondered if any one could advise.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Durianrider IMHO is so far up his own rectum it's sad!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've never heard of DurianRider but two observations spring to mind. If he's called Durian Rider why isn't he advocating drinking Durian juice? And all fruit juice is pretty much the same - it's water, various kinds of sugar including quite a large dollop of fructose, and small amounts of other stuff. From a nutritional perspective just about any juice would be the same.

For what it's worth I sometimes drink juice mixed 50-50 with water when I'm out on the bike.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Hi Guys
I have been hooked with the guy on youtube "durianrider" and picking up tips as I go along, is there an alternative to the Guava drink he is drinking in the UK?
Also any advice on the high carb, low fat diet for a diabetic?
Will be speaking to my consultant at next appt but wondered if any one could advise.

Duran Rider has no qualification elating to health or nutrition and as stated he shares only his own view and little of what he states can be supported by scientific evidence. He even believes eating vast quantities of banana's a day is a positive thing for a balanced diet and health.
A low fat diet is not always a positive thing, your body requires fat to function effectively. You just need to understand the difference between good fats and bad fats.

Any diet is simply not sustainable long term and stopping the activity will ensure you return to the condition you were before if habits have not changed.. You need to make lifestyle choices and eat in a healthy and sustainable manner.

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you must drink some form of juice in an attempt to improve your performance, there is only one real option, Beetroot Juice! Look up the scientific papers, there are plenty about and IME it is the real deal and through various experiments I conclude that I put out more power, for a lower heart rate and go faster after consuming a glass of Beetroot juice ~2.5 hours before training/racing.

If you must drink some form of juice in an attempt to improve your performance, there is only one real option, Beetroot Juice! Look up the scientific papers, there are plenty about and IME it is the real deal and through various experiments I conclude that I put out more power, for a lower heart rate and go faster after consuming a glass of Beetroot juice ~2.5 hours before training/racing.

Much respect old chap - if you can drink that stuff, then you are a better man than I am... ;)

I tried a glass once, the taste gave me nightmares. I don't care how fast it makes me - never again.

OP
OP
Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Veteran
I too dont buy into a lot of what he is saying, High Carbs isnt good for a Diabetic (Which I am) but the juice he drinks looks nice ( thought it might have been the same as sunny delight)

I do believe in some of what he says, vegan diet being better for you and the advice to stay away from oil and butter but then again people should know this already.

I take what he says with a pinch of salt.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Much respect old chap - if you can drink that stuff, then you are a better man than I am... ;)

I tried a glass once, the taste gave me nightmares. I don't care how fast it makes me - never again.

I like the taste, however I neck it anyway just because of the extreme colour which makes your lips and mouth bright red if you sip it! Apparently you should avoid chewing gum or brushing your teeth immediately afterwards too.

I too dont buy into a lot of what he is saying, High Carbs isnt good for a Diabetic (Which I am) but the juice he drinks looks nice ( thought it might have been the same as sunny delight)

I do believe in some of what he says, vegan diet being better for you and the advice to stay away from oil and butter but then again people should know this already.

I take what he says with a pinch of salt.

???

OP
OP
Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Veteran
I like the taste, however I neck it anyway just because of the extreme colour which makes your lips and mouth bright red if you sip it! Apparently you should avoid chewing gum or brushing your teeth immediately afterwards too.

???

Not sure what the ??? are for, I generally believe having a vegan diet is better than shoving fatty foods down your throat.

michaelcycle

Guava (juice I presume?) is simply a concentrated form of sugar (mainly fructose) which your body will metabolise just like any other type of sugar. Given you are not eating the whole fruit it will spike your blood sugar level just the same as a maltodextrin supplement for example given it has lost most of its bulk and fibre which will slow down rates of digestion. Probably not a good fit for you if you are diabetic really other than in small quantities. Personally, I think fruit squash mixed with water, a little sugar and some salt will be more beneficial.

As for a vegan diet - it is probably going to be healthier than your average person's diet which is high in calories and low in other nutrients, particularly protein.

Is it healthier or better than a well balanced omnivorous diet including reasonable amount of dietary fat? Not likely in my view no matter what the China Study may allude to...

Top Bottom