Alternative northern friday night ride to somewhere...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Soltydog said:
I think the M62 services at Ferrybridge might be accesable by bike ;)

It's a bit of a funny way but I think you can sneak in the back via paths and lanes. The problem is how do you cross the river? I've heard someone claim that there's a cycle path next to the old section of the A1 but I've never actually seen it (I know the Old North Road is there). Otherwise you can't cross between Beal and Cas!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Good idea. And I like the power stations route suggestion, but that'll only work once. Or maybe once a year.

But, there's lots and lots of coast. Going to the coast is someone elses idea, but it's a Good Idea. There needs to be a definite destination. And once you've arrived at the coast, you can't really go any further.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
.. and then the title of the thread gave me an idea.

Not so much a Ride to Somewhere as a Ride to Somewhere Else. How about a series of rides to the Edges of Yorkshire? To the borders with the sea, with Durham, with Lancashire, with Lincolnshire or Nottinghamshire, or other places with borders.

Hmmm. Just a thought.

marinyork

Yes, it's a good idea Uncle Phil. The problem is some of the multiple borders are quite a long way away - Holmfirth, Worksop and north of Gainsborough. Absolutely fine for me but other people further north quite a way.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Some of them would be long rides, it's true - but it all depends where you start from. We can choose starting points with good transport links, and which make the distance doable overnight.

zacklaws

Guru
Uncle Phil said:
.. and then the title of the thread gave me an idea.

Not so much a Ride to Somewhere as a Ride to Somewhere Else. How about a series of rides to the Edges of Yorkshire? To the borders with the sea, with Durham, with Lancashire, with Lincolnshire or Nottinghamshire, or other places with borders.

Hmmm. Just a thought.

Good Lord Phil, I'm glad I only live in England and not mainland Europe or America, else it would be a weekend ride, to the China Sea, Mediterannean, Atlantic and whatever it is to the North, or a ride to Mexico, Pacific, Canada and the Atlantic, but its an idea for a ride and I did see something similar posted on the same theme a good while back. A quick look at the map doe's show York almost central to all the boundaries.

marinyork

Uncle Phil said:
Some of them would be long rides, it's true - but it all depends where you start from. We can choose starting points with good transport links, and which make the distance doable overnight.

Well I've never been to the actual triple border points, so I'm not saying no, some of them are a fair way. On the lancashire one I think Longers has experience of a long overnight ride in that bit of the world (lakes and back in one night).

Doncaster certainly has good transport links for you guys so one of them isn't that impossible.

zacklaws

Guru
Just done a very quick check on bike hike, with a central point in York to, N, S, W and E points close to the border and all rides are 100+, return journey apart from roughly SSE to Lincolnshire which is the shorter, forgot the distance now but I think it was about 80+miles.

All distances are manageable though but the method I have quickly done is using main roads, so if it was planned on country roads, the distances could increase by a big margin.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Yes, but

• we don't have to start in York
  • we don't have to do return journeys.

The London FNRTTC rides all start in London, but then lots of people live there (and they all think it's the centre of civilisation).

The London FNRTTC rides are generally one-way - some cycle back the following day, it's true, but generally folk get on the train and go home. Any reason we shouldn't do the same?

marinyork

I'm happy with the idea, I just don't know how enthusiastic people will be say meeting at Doncaster railway station or Keighley.

marinyork

Just saying there have been a number of rides that start in York, a ColinJ posse that start in Hebden Bridge, a Leeds posse and a few rides that have started elsewhere like Hull and Sheffield/Peaks/transpennine.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
I'd like York to Hornsea.

Transport home would be easy for some ;)
It's approx 125 miles to do a round trip York - Hornsea. TPT one way & then other way across bottom of Wolds, ie Beverley, Market Weighton, Pocklington, both nice routes & easy to navigate :ohmy:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
I'm happy with the idea, I just don't know how enthusiastic people will be say meeting at Doncaster railway station or Keighley.

I would imagine the fact that you were shortly leaving Doncaster would be good enough reason to go there....;)

I like the 'Borders' idea. I love crossing boundaries, it feels like a real adventure. Crossing into Lancashire with ColinJ's ride for example. And when I did my century, I rode alongside the Humber and thought "over there, on the other side, that's another county!"

I also like the idea of the coast, just because I love the sea. And the Humber Bridge.

So, we have loads of ideas:biggrin:. Let's continue to cogitate, and get a few plans together, and see what works out....

Top Bottom