Alternative northern friday night ride to somewhere...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Probably wouldn't do us much good as it's a night ride but I found the nearest place to the Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire border is a place called Heckdyke and the about the nearest place of civilisation near to it is a brewery called The Idle Brewery :laugh:.

zacklaws

Guru
Arch said:
I love crossing boundaries, it feels like a real adventure. And when I did my century, I rode alongside the Humber and thought "over there, on the other side, that's another county!"
I also like the idea of the coast, just because I love the sea. And the Humber Bridge.

Should have been with me yesterday then Arch, I rode down into the Lincolnshire Wolds to check out these big hills mentioned in another thread, in the forums, crossed the bridge twice and saw the Humber, crossed into Lincolnshire, 3 times going by the boundary sign, which I passed 3 times in 3 different places on route, so I must also have crossed into Humberside also 3 times, and from top of the wolds I could see the sea.

And all for nothing, 96 miles, just to climb 3 hills because I thought I was missing out but found out I did not have to go that far to climb bigger.

Oh, and just remembered, I live in E. Yorkshire, so I crossed the border between Humberside and where I live twice.

zacklaws

Guru
You learn something everyday, I've now had to look up as to why I was miles South of the Humber to see signs of "Welcome to Lincolnshire", instead of one big one at the South side of the Humber bridge, and still cannot find a proper reason apart from seeing that there is a North Linconlshire, in which case I still crossed a few borders.

Don't like cycling South side of the Humber anyway.

Wondered why there was no Humberside signs between where I live and Hull.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I haven't forgotten this idea: once I'm back from holiday, I'll get planning. I was quite close to Drax today, only a pesky river in the way...

andyfromotley

Hi arch, i'm interested.

another off the cuff idea........ 'Blind Date'

We organise a fairly central tea stop and possies all make their own way their, we have a cuppa do a loop together then ride off into the dusk?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Bump :biggrin:

Did anything ever happen with this? I'd be happy to help out with organising where I could (being in West Cumbria wouldn't help too much with routes though)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bump :biggrin:

Did anything ever happen with this? I'd be happy to help out with organising where I could (being in West Cumbria wouldn't help too much with routes though)

Ah! Thanks for the reminder. I have a ride in mind, inspired by Marin's mention of the powerstations. I passed that way on my way to Sheffield before my holiday, and think it might be a good loop, because you can see each one from the one before...

I'll get out and do a recce. An alternative might be a trip to the Humber Bridge and back, borrowing from the FNRttC.

Or even our own Cleethorpes run, with trains back....

Anyway, it's still in my mind...

Top Bottom