Alternative solutions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I often ride, at this time of year, on unlit or poorly lit roads. At these times I am often frustrated at being unable to see my computer readout. I have tried a couple of supposedly 'backlit' displays with one so badly lit that I still couldnt read the screen and just found it inconvinient to find the on button while concentrating on my riding with both of them. My solution has been to mount a book light onto the handlebars so that the computer screen display is lit from above, giving clear and instant visiblity at all times. I would be interested to start a thread allowing everybody to give thier solutions to irksome problems associated with bikes and riding

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I often ride, at this time of year, on unlit or poorly lit roads. At these times I am often frustrated at being unable to see my computer readout. I have tried a couple of supposedly 'backlit' displays with one so badly lit that I still couldnt read the screen and just found it inconvinient to find the on button while concentrating on my riding with both of them. My solution has been to mount a book light onto the handlebars so that the computer screen display is lit from above, giving clear and instant visiblity at all times. I would be interested to start a thread allowing everybody to give thier solutions to irksome problems associated with bikes and riding
I haven't done for a while but I found that a helmet mounted torch on a low-beam, wide focus setting would also solve that particular problem.

I use a Garmin 500 which is actually really good for reading data with backlight on. It does run the battery down quicker if left on though. Still go for 10 plus hours. If you don't want to change your computer though then that's a naff bit of advice. :whistle:

So after my bad advice i have to offer a solution? I like this. Erm................................aha!! :idea:

Winter blues. Lacking motivation? Doing the same rides, or type or rides, all the time? Mix it up. Try some off road with your mountain bike or CX. Do something different to bring the fun back to riding. Even put in turbo trainer sessions that are goal orientated. I use trainerroad.
Try adding some running. Great for the cardiovascular and will keep aerobic fitness through the cold months. Usually easier to avoid the dreaded ice too.

All better than sitting in the house because you are bored of the same old thing. Motivate thyself.

Jon2

I guess it depends on your lights, but i usually find putting my hand in front of the light reflects just enough light for me to be able to read the screen.

Top Bottom