Alternative to Boardman Adv 8.8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PainterUK

Hi!

First post here, hope everyone is having a safe confinement!
Would you be able to advise on a good alternative for a Boardman Adv 8.8? I was looking forward to buy that bike but I have contacted Cycle Republic a while ago for some advice and didn't receive any response. I have a £900 voucher to use (the bike is currently £750 in both Cycle Republic and Halfords) and my advice was to get info on what accessories or components I should get on top of it (lights, mudguards etc... I am a complete newbie who hasn't been on a bike for years).

I liked the look of that bike, the fact that it is lightweight and seems great to do the occasional road/park ride which is what I'll be doing.

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-adv-8-8-sora-mens-gravel-bike-2020.html
That is the bike's link.

Thank you for any advice in advance :smile:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Welcome to the forum :smile:

While I'd not fall over myself to recommend Halfords (although I do have a Boardman bike and FWIW I can't fault its performance so far), if you like the bike and have a voucher (presumably that has to be spent at the Halfords group) why not just buy the bike from Halfords instead?

I believe Cycle Republic are closing so that might be behind the lack of response to your email... although the whole chain hardly has a sterling rep for customer service.

If you're limited to spending your money at Halfords the Boardman range is about as good as you'll get; I'd certainly avoid their other in house brands.

Tbh the bike isn't what most people would call lightweight and the kit is all pretty basic, but it does appear to offer good value at this price point and I think they're fairly well regarded for what they are.

I do have an idea for an alternative and will drop you a PM on the subject ;)

OP
OP
P

PainterUK

Thank you for the welcome!

It doesn't have to be spent at any of the two, I just read a few topics and found that bike nice. The idea was precisely to get an alternative from another shop as to not buy it from Halfords, sorry I should have made that clear in the first post.
From what I have seen, it can be spent pretty much in any major retailer/online retailer.

OP
OP
P

PainterUK

For some reason I can't find an option to reply to your PM, could it be because I am a new user?
In any case, unless the shop allows me to pay extra on top of the voucher, I won't be able to go for that one I'm afraid. And I think it is a road bike? I looked for the adv 8.8 due to the larger tyres as it will be mainly used in the park (Richmond in case it helps).

OP
OP
P

PainterUK

Oh I had no idea it was closed, I thought it would still be open provided people respected social distancing measures.

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/retailers/
This is the website of the scheme and there seems to be a huge number of retailers/online shops. The voucher is not for Halfords, it's just general but can be used there.

I guess the ride will just be around Putney for now then.

Edit: I can buy from Halfords but as I am struggling to get some assistance with them/Cycle Republic in terms of components, I was thinking of getting an alternative from another shop with a better customer service I suppose

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh I had no idea it was closed, I thought it would still be open provided people respected social distancing measures.

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/retailers/
This is the website of the scheme and there seems to be a huge number of retailers/online shops. The voucher is not for Halfords, it's just general but can be used there.

I guess the ride will just be around Putney for now then.

Edit: I can buy from Halfords but as I am struggling to get some assistance with them/Cycle Republic in terms of components, I was thinking of getting an alternative from another shop with a better customer service I suppose
How far will your commute be?

I think Halfords are closing the Cycle Republic chain so might explain the lack of response or they simply are only dealing with urgent queries.

What do you want to know about components? There are some owners of the bike if you do a search....possibly @BigMeatball might have that one?

Many LBS are closed to protect their staff or are only dealing with key worker emergencies (like mine)

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PainterUK

I don't mind if it is an online shop to be honest, I have looked at the bikes in Tredz and a few others. It's just that I don't know what would be equivalent to a Boardman Adv 8.8, my question is more about an alternative to the bike, not to the shop itself.

The commute will be from Putney to Brentford and that will only be around once/twice a week.

In terms of components, only what usually is "common sense", like the ideal mudguards and anything else you guys may think ideal.

vickster

Legendary Member
Tredz are owned by Halfords too....

If you want to compare spec, these are the important things for equivalence
  • Gears: 18 speed Sora gearing offers a wide range of precise shifting
  • Brakes: TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes for controlled and powerful stopping

If you can get full mudguards (like an SKS Chromoplastic), that would be best - get them fitted by an LBS as they can be a bitch to fit!

Are you going to use a backpack (get a cycle one from Deuter or Osprey to avoid sweaty back) or a pannier (if so, you'll need a rack). Decent tyres important for commuting, get some spare tubes, tyre levers, a decent multi tool, a small pump for the bike and a track pump for home.

Then there's a helmet if you want one (try on in a shop for size), get gloves / mitts for your hands, get something to protect your eyes from bugs and grit and the sun when it arrives

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thank you for the welcome!

It doesn't have to be spent at any of the two, I just read a few topics and found that bike nice. The idea was precisely to get an alternative from another shop as to not buy it from Halfords, sorry I should have made that clear in the first post.
From what I have seen, it can be spent pretty much in any major retailer/online retailer.
No worries - I can appreciate where you're coming from re. avoiding Halfords - in which case you'll want to avoid Tredz too as they're also part of that group ;)

For some reason I can't find an option to reply to your PM, could it be because I am a new user?
In any case, unless the shop allows me to pay extra on top of the voucher, I won't be able to go for that one I'm afraid. And I think it is a road bike? I looked for the adv 8.8 due to the larger tyres as it will be mainly used in the park (Richmond in case it helps).
No worries about the PM - as it happens you're the second person to have complained about this when attempting to respond to my PMs - something the mods might be able to shed some light on perhaps, please..?

I don't see why the shop wouldn't allow you to pay more on top of the voucher, but appreciate that you might not want to push your budget any further. The bike (last year's Croix de Fer 20 for anyone wondering - recommended via PM as it's a good price and I might yet want to buy from there!) is in the same crossover / gravel / adventure / road plus category as the Boardman you're looking at.. This format being essentially a road bike with fatter tyres (37c on the Genesis, 38c on the Boardman), disc brakes and more upright geometry, typically with a slacker head angle for better stability on rough surfaces.

There are loads of bikes in this segment; another popular one is the Pinnacle Arkose; although personally I'm put off by its ally frame and I'd like to think many would also be put off by the fact that it's an Evans own-brand; who are owned by Mike whatshistw@ who also owns Sports Direct and has hardly showered himself in glory by forcing his employees to continue working through the pandemic we're experiencing.. but I digress!

Good luck finding something suitable :smile:

Top Bottom