Alternative to Creek2Peak panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Dave Rado

mm
>>That's so that I can keep relatively pricey accessories such as the bicycle lights and pump in one of the pockets

anything relatively pricey/nickable I'd take with you - I can't see that any decent pump I'd care to use would fit in a pocket - put in main pannier?
Have you considered either a take-with- you handlebar bag or bumbag for the nickable stuff?
If you've had stuff nicked multiple times it seems to me that a zip is not going to be much of a deterrent to the folks you are facing.
Have no idea where you are.
Nothing has ever been stolen from my padlocked pockets in more than 10 years. Before I started padlocking them things were frequently stolen from them. The inconvenience of having to carry my torch, pump, etc everywhere I go would be enormous - and anyway the GPS has to stay with the bike.

I would appreciate comments from people who can help me with my query, rather being told that I shouldn't need what I think I need. You won't change my mind about what I need.

Many thanks

Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dave Rado

Use the Watch thread function, you'll get notifications
At the top of the thread there's a button that says "Unwatch" - which presumably means the Watch thread function is active. But I haven't had any notifications. Any ideas?

Dave

vickster

Legendary Member
At the top of the thread there's a button that says "Unwatch" - which presumably means the Watch thread function is active. But I haven't had any notifications. Any ideas?

Dave
You should get a notification on screen depending on what you selected. Turn it off and on again?
I don’t bother with email notifications so can’t comment I’m afraid

Nothing has ever been stolen from my padlocked pockets in more than 10 years. Before I started padlocking them things were frequently stolen from them. The inconvenience of having to carry my torch, pump, etc everywhere I go would be enormous - and anyway the GPS has to stay with the bike.

I would appreciate comments from people who can help me with my query, rather being told that I shouldn't need what I think I need. You won't change my mind about what I need.

Many thanks

Dave
oh well - over to you - but can't help but say I would never leave a GPS of any sort on a bike and that issue is entirely separate from the pannier issue in any case - can't help feel that you are creating problems for yourself easily solved.
I will observe the solution to this "problem" from a safe distance.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
At the top of the thread there is a button which says "Unwatch", which I presume means the Watch thread function is on - but I haven't received any notifications.

Also I posted this message last Friday but it hasn't appeared in the thread for some reason, so I'm reposting it.
Post in site support?
https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/site-support.29/
Is there something to adjust in your personal settings otherwise?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dave Rado

I've
mm
>>That's so that I can keep relatively pricey accessories such as the bicycle lights and pump in one of the pockets

anything relatively pricey/nickable I'd take with you - I can't see that any decent pump I'd care to use would fit in a pocket - put in main pannier?
Have you considered either a take-with- you handlebar bag or bumbag for the nickable stuff?
If you've had stuff nicked multiple times it seems to me that a zip is not going to be much of a deterrent to the folks you are facing.
Have no idea where you are.
I've never had anything nicked from the locked pockets in more than 10 years. I frequently had things nicked from the pockets before I started locking them. I've always kept my pump in a pocket, never in the main compartment. My pump isn't very long but it's very efficient.

My panniers themselves were recently nicked but I am going to run a cable lock through the rails on the new panniers and secure them to the frame that way. I wish I'd thought of doing that before.

I absolutely do not want to have to carry my torch, pump, etc. with me and I don't want to keep them in the main compartment either, where they'd get buried under my shopping or luggage.

In any case, I also plan to keep a GPS tracker in one of the locked pockets so that if they ever do get stolen again, I'll be able to help the police to find them.

I don't understand why most pannier manufacturers don't have pockets that zip up with double-zippers that can be padlocked together as my Creek2Peak ones did - it seems such an obvious thing to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dave Rado

In case anyone else has the same problem in the future, I have found a solution - a very expensive one, but at least I'll have peace of mind. It's the Arkel GT-54.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d be concerned more about £300 panniers getting nicked if left unattended on the bike, than the contents!

I’d be concerned more about £300 panniers getting nicked if left unattended on the bike, than the contents!
quite - I even worry slightly when i see bikes parked up with tatty ancient karrimors.

The OP clearly has their own ideas - anyone else, I'd strongly advise to take everything with them - then relax.

Top Bottom