Alternative to Expensive Hi-Viz Jerseys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
That's precisley the one I wear Stuart - won't win any fashion awards but it helps make me visible

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't listen to the fashion brigade Flanker.

:ohmy: How very dare you !!!

Flo yellow does not match my red bike, so there !!:tongue:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The seeing bit (as in sufficient photons bouncing off cyclist and entering driver's eyes) isn't all of the story though. Although it's a bit worn now, those TFL vids of the dancing bear show how much processing the driver's brain has to do before the driver really sees a cyclist.

Personally I find that I see bright blue better in nearly all light conditions, but that may be just my eyesight.

With your figure!:ohmy:

I'd steer you towards summer neutrals - a taupe, brushed fawn or deep muffin perhaps?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
The seeing bit (as in sufficient photons bouncing off cyclist and entering driver's eyes) isn't all of the story though. Although it's a bit worn now, those TFL vids of the dancing bear show how much processing the driver's brain has to do before the driver really sees a cyclist.

With your figure!:ohmy:

I'd steer you towards summer neutrals - a taupe, brushed fawn or deep muffin perhaps?

do you manage to shoehorn in 'deep muffin' often or is it saved for special occasions?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
With talk of differentiating between Hi-Viz and Reflective, I began to wonder if there are any Hi-Viz tops out there that DON'T have reflective panels on them these days? When I refer to my Hi-Viz top, I mean a top that is both a sickly, luminous colour and has multiple, large reflective bands and areas on it.

Anyway - can't we all just agree that - like helmets - wearing or not wearing Hi-Viz is a personal choice and leave it at that? The OP was merely mentioning a cheap source of a Hi-Viz jersey, not telling any of you that you had to wear one!

To link this with hippo's recent pronouncements, do you think you can get hi-viz burberry?

Now there is an idea, then we could see the chavs/neds coming a mile off....

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I do. I use all the aids available. Hence I seldom have incidents with motorists and hence I don't need to wear a camera to record them.

Anecdote is not data, but I've been hit in twilight by a car whilst wearing Hi-Viz & running 3 (3!) lights front and back of the bike. "I thought you'd left the roundabout!"

I've been hit by a bus in broad daylight whilst running a flashing light front & back & wearing Hi-viz.

It can help in some conditions, but for god's sake don't assume drivers are paying enough attention to notice it, or that they'll not take a too close overtake.

BSRU

A Human Being
Anecdote is not data, but I've been hit in twilight by a car whilst wearing Hi-Viz & running 3 (3!) lights front and back of the bike. "I thought you'd left the roundabout!"

I've been hit by a bus in broad daylight whilst running a flashing light front & back & wearing Hi-viz.

It can help in some conditions, but for god's sake don't assume drivers are paying enough attention to notice it, or that they'll not take a too close overtake.
Some drivers will not see you what ever aids are being used. I once saw a car overtake the Prime Ministers motorcade despite lots of blue flashing lights and an large flashing illuminated sign on the last vehicle stating "POLICE - DO NOT OVERTAKE".

Anything that reduces the chances of not being seen are worth it, my life/health are too important to worry about the monetary costs.

Moodyman

Legendary Member

Agreed. You can minimise the risk, but you'll never completeley negate it.

Anyway - can't we all just agree that - like helmets - wearing or not wearing Hi-Viz is a personal choice and leave it at that? The OP was merely mentioning a cheap source of a Hi-Viz jersey, not telling any of you that you had to wear one!

Yes,the same old crowd hijacked the thread yet again because of their hatred of Hi-Viz...but personally I couldn't care less whether people wear it or not...but I will be effing irritated with yet another invisible muppet if I almost collide with them again because they are wearing black with no lights....funnily enough I have never had this problem with yclists wearing lighter clothes and no lights....reminds me I have a film of that muppet on Blackfriars Bridge tonight..What goo mason said...in bold

Reading what BSRU said...Very true...It's only useful if motorists is actually looking or whether he/she could give a toss...as my landrover incident showed...

Top Bottom