Alternative to Triban3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeynesey

Hi all, my 1st real post here!

I've been looking at getting a road bike for a while now, my mountain bike simply isn't cutting it anymore. I'm not looking to spend much more than £300...

I am sold on the Triban 3, which seems great VFM, but I can't get used to the drop handle bars (have test ridden)...

Can anyone recommend an alternative in a similar price range, with standard handlebars?

Thanks in advance, Nick

Norm

Specialized Sirrus. The base model is around £300, comes with flat bars, relatively decent spec and the confidence of buying a global brand, if that means anything to you.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
have a look for a lightly used Marin Fairfax Alp , i have picked 1 up recentley and have to say got to be close to being better than my original Marin Bear Valley for commuting and general road bike use .

if local to me you are welcome to come and have a go and see what i mean

Mike!

Guru
Had a Sirrus myself and would recommend. Giant Rapid is probably about as close as you will get to a drop bar but flat bar bike :-)

OP
OP
jeynesey

jeynesey

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Keeping with the Decathlon range, how about a Fitness 3?

This is a speed oriented flat bar bike with 700x25 tyres. Although it's only 21 speed the spec suggests they've used a 7 speed cassette rather than the cheaper screw-on freewheel you'd usually expect in this price range. No carbon fork though.

For a bigger budget they also do the Fitness 5 which is a bit racier and has carbon fork and stays like the Triban 5.

rb58

Enigma
Drop bars do take a little gettig used to, but the variety of hand positions make them worth the effort if your rides are going to be of any length. If you're fixed on a flat bar, then I can also recommend the Sirrus - I commuted on one for a couple of years and it's rock solid and pretty quick.

OP
OP
jeynesey

jeynesey

I hadn't seen that B'twin before, thanks. Think I need to go to my nearest Decathlon and have a look :smile:

Silly question, but how easy would it be to swap from a flat bar to a drop bar at a later date, I guess it depends on the bike?

Col5632

Guru
Found a real nice marin on ebay that im watching ^_^

I went to halfords today, the guy was actually really good. He recommended the Carerra Crossfire 1. (this) http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_810653_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Didn't have a chance to ride it, but it felt quite good, if a little "front heavy"?? I've also steered clear or bikes with suspension as I'm mainly just doing road riding. Anyone got one of these?

I have the crossfire 2 which comes with front suspension but i have it locked, its a heavy 13kg bike but it does for getting me to my work and back :thumbsup:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Silly question, but how easy would it be to swap from a flat bar to a drop bar at a later date, I guess it depends on the bike?
It can be done of course, but by the time you've bought the bars, shifters, brake levers, bar tape, different stem, etc it might be more cost effective to sell the flat bar bike and buy a drop bar one.

Top Bottom