Alternative to wet lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
I've always used Finishline Wet but have come to the conclusion that it just gums up my drivetrain with grainy gunk.

What alternative should I look at? (not wax)

I've vaguely heard about lube with evaporating solvent, to break down the dirt and leave a lube behind, what might that have been?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Do you wipe down your chain after applying wet lube? The lube is meant to be inside the rollers, not on the outside of the chain. If you’re not wiping down , that’s the cause of your issue.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
What Ming says above. That said, wet lube is quite good at attracting dust/dirt in dry conditions so you're right, over time it will always gunk up - unless you clean after each ride.

What I do is always use ceramic dry lube - it's for dry conditions but washes off a lot harder in the wet then 'standard' dry lube. On top of that, I have one of these bad boys in my saddle bag full of proper wet lube - in case it really pours and the dry lube washes off.

[EDIT]
You don't mention what bike it is. If you're really not enjoying drivetrain maintenance, consider switching to a belt drive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
It's a 10 speed road bike, wipe after lubing but Scottish roads ain't clean at the best of times. Can you recommend a ceramic dry, would have no problems lubing more often if it meant cleaning less often.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
to be honest, my LBS stocks Muc-Off so I just buy that. It's called C3 ceramic lube for dry conditions.

Maybe someone has experience of using the hydrodynamic one? Never bought it as quite pricey.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need to wipe the chain more. I tend to lube after a wet ride, then wipe, and wipe in between rides.

Finish line Ceramic wet here, use it on all the bikes. even the cheap muc-off wet from Aldi is fine.

I don't like wax/dry as much as that collects dirt/sand but then forms a solid mass, that's harder to wipe off than wet lube.

Dry also attracts dust too - try trails in dusty conditions :sad:. Still easier to wipe the wet stuff off.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
particular in winter when the roads are grubbier, whatever you use will collect grubbiness on your drive-chain. Just be prepared to spend a bit more time with a rag cleaning it.

bagpuss

Guru
I find GT 85 works very well over winter . I also clean the chain after every ride . Look after your gears and they will last longer .

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
I find GT 85 works very well over winter . I also clean the chain after every ride . Look after your gears and they will last longer .
I'm running basically the best part of 3 standard length chains :blink:
I use silicone spray and it's great. Very thin and water repellent but cleaning is very regular.
I also use a mix of xtr and Dura ace casette so buying both to make up the ratios I like is very expensive so having tried various lubricant the one that lasts is silicone.

500ml can or so is about £5 online

Alex321

Veteran
Another vote for the Muc-Off ceramic C3 lube here. I have bottles of both the wet and the dry - using the wet at this time of year, and still need to re-lube after a particularly wet ride.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
to be honest, my LBS stocks Muc-Off so I just buy that. It's called C3 ceramic lube for dry conditions.

Maybe someone has experience of using the hydrodynamic one? Never bought it as quite pricey.
I got a small sample of the hydrodynamic from my LBS & tbh I prefer the muc-off ceramic dry lube, much cleaner 👍
For all weather use I've switched to Peatey's lubes, really impressed with them :okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
3 in 1 has its merits. It washes off rather easily but it tends to go a bit gummy, which can make a noisy chain quieter.

bagpuss

Guru
3 in 1 has its merits. It washes off rather easily but it tends to go a bit gummy, which can make a noisy chain quieter.

I used 3 in 1 for many many years . I now some times use sewing machine oil {don't tell my missus} as it is very thin and gets into the rivets .
Not water proof but i find it works .Plus it is not to sticky so it does not attract the muck .

nlmkiii

I've always used Finishline Wet but have come to the conclusion that it just gums up my drivetrain with grainy gunk.

What alternative should I look at? (not wax)

I've vaguely heard about lube with evaporating solvent, to break down the dirt and leave a lube behind, what might that have been?

out of interest, why not wax?

Top Bottom