Alternatives to buying cable rub protectors - sellotape?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Having some cable rub on my aluminium frame, was going to buy some of those adhesive cable rub protectors but being a frugal sort of person I thought that something around the house might do the trick. I might just stick a strip or two of sellotape under the cable. Anyone ever used sellotape for this? Or is it a bad idea to stick sellotape on the paintwork?

Twilkes

Guru
I've used electrical tape, seems fine so far. Black tape and frame so not really noticeable.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You could, it's just that sellotape will dry out eventually and fall off before those gel stickers will, and you'll have that crunchy residue left. Not the end of the world, it can be removed with spirit. It won't materially damage the paint. I'd double or triple up on sello tape, it's much thinner than the gel pads. Electric tape is better.

Venod

Eh up
I use Gorilla Clear Repair tape

Same here.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The only thing with cable covers/rubbers, is that where you get grit involved, you do need tape on the frame as that still rubs the paint off.

PS - if ever removing heli-tape, make sure you warm it up first with a hair drier before trying to remove - it will pull your paint off.

Top Bottom