Altrincham to Manchester commute time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
You can now get past Edge Lane and the surface has recently been tarmaced as it is part of the Bridgewater Way.

Great! Must try it onedry summers day. :smile:

Luiji07

ok just tried the altrincham to mcr route along canal and was great up until i got to trafford park - then the last 4 miles or so into city was really narrow dirt track which i can handle but then u throw in the evil geese!!
I tried ringing my bell to move them, speeding up and then just holding my breath and hoping for the best lol they do not move just stand and hiss and my ankles felt very vulnerable and i really dont know how i made it back without a little swim!!

I done the route there and back and coming back was quite a push as just started cycling

i really want to do the commute but the bloody geese have put me off and also how quiet and desolate it is from stretford into mcr
i am currently looking at more routes that are not really busy traffic wise if i come off canal at trafford park or stretford - any suggestions will be welcome

Luiji07

cheers just had another look at that

can i get tosale waterpark from the canal path ?
is the route you posted on road from sale water park busy traffic?
how long are you talking from sale water park to manchester city centre?

400bhp

Guru
cheers just had another look at that

1. can i get tosale waterpark from the canal path ?
2. is the route you posted on road from sale water park busy traffic?
3. how long are you talking from sale water park to manchester city centre?

1. You exit the canal and go on Hawthorne Rd . The route doesn't actually go into the water park-it skirts around it and comes out at Nygreen Rd.

2. No, traffic is fairly light. Alexandra Rd South is the busiest part, however it has a good cycle lane and is restricted to 20mph (although most ignore this, however it does slow the traffoc down).

3. 10-15 mins

Luiji07

sounds good will give this a go as only a matter of time before i fall in the canal or get attacked by geese :smile:

1. You exit the canal and go on Hawthorne Rd . The route doesn't actually go into the water park-it skirts around it and comes out at Nygreen Rd.

2. No, traffic is fairly light. Alexandra Rd South is the busiest part, however it has a good cycle lane and is restricted to 20mph (although most ignore this, however it does slow the traffoc down).

3. 10-15 mins

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
A56 is pants and dangerous ,avoid it at all costs plus the towpath would proberly be smoother than the tarmac ! You are right about the canal getting gooey from Stretford which is no fun if you have no cleaning facilities at work.
Good luck

400bhp

Guru
sorry to ask another question

where will i exit the canal is it signposted at all ?

Difficult to describe but essentially it's before you go under a bridge, with a path leading off to the side. Here's the road you join. You come off the canal to the left of where the cyclists are (as you are looking at them) here

smallfish

I know stretford - manchester route well - I used to drop my daughter at nursery in stretford and then cycle in to work further along Deansgate past the station.

the route i used to take is...

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=225446

It's pretty direct, you go through 3 parks, and though there is some road cycling it's all either quiet residential roads, or cycle lanes. Used to take me about 15-20 mins max.

The only bit than can be a bit busy is the stretch of Edge Lane from the Canal to Longford Park. Be especially vigilant by the junction with Kings Road - most cars turn left and you are vulnerable to left hooks (Actually, it's faster to cycle up kings road, but Longford park is much prettier!)

sisarge

I cycle from Media City to Altrincham and back on a daily basis. The canal path is hopeless on a road bike if you don't want mud all over your bike, clothes, bag and skin. Which I would assume is most commuters. Also there are lots of little barriers which you have to keep slowing down for to get around - or get off your bike and lift it over. With a muddy bike this becomes even more of a 'mare. There are many parts of the path which narrow too much for cyclists to safely pass each other - with overgrown bushes / nettles making that even worse. The parts of the path which go beneath bridges are either cobbled or seriously damaged (extremely uneven / bumpy) which is no good at all for road bike tyres. I'm taking Chester Road from now on. Yes it's more dangerous but my new bike is already damaged and I can't keep turning up for work covered in mud. Cycling is supposed to be fun.

sisarge

Thank you. If only I could get my tyres to man up. The amount I'd have to slow down to make the extremely rough areas okay for them would be slower than walking. I've had two punctures in 3 weeks.
To be clear, I'm cycling on this particular route for my commute - not so much for leisure. Original solution: leave the damned canal path and hit the road.. seems better.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Durano Plus would def help on the tyre front.

I use the path twice daily on 23mm racing tyres. However, I have a fat arse that absorbs the bumps and vibrations.

Top Bottom