Altrincham to Manchester commute time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham

Hi All,

Although I've been a regular visitor to the site, this is my first post so go easy on me!

I'm moving out into the wilds of Cheshire but hoping to get the train to Altrincham and then cycle into work by Deansgate Station on the A56. Does any commute from around Altrincham train station into Manchester city centre? What sort of time do you do it in? Currently, I commute from West Didsbury into town and it takes about 20 mins so I'm thinking it will take me around 25-30. Plus I'm about to take delivery of a new bike on the CTW scheme, so that's bound to make me faster!

Lell

Hi Graham,

I commute daily from very near Altrincham station to Trafford park. The most direct route I take, which is along the Bridgewater canal, takes me about 20 - 25 minutes. You could follow the canal all the way into central Manchester and come out at Castlefield - just opposite Deansgate station. This would probably add about another 10 minutes.

Normally though, I take alternative routes which give me a longer ride - some on roads, some not. I do always try to avoid the main A56 into Manchester as it is no fun at all - like riding through a narrow over crowded car park!

Hope this helps

Cking

The Bridgewater canal tow path is being turned into a cycle path at the moment. They have done the bit from Sale town centre towards Manchester. I don't know how far though.
This will give you a car free route If you choose it.

Rgds Cking

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi Graham, and welcome.

I dont know Manchester at all I'm afraid...is it someplace "up north".

either way, assuming the air is not thinner up there and stuff (;)) you will probably look to ride at an average of somewhere between 14 and 20 mph.

I'm guessing the route you mention may have some of those hilly things on it (again not a thing we have down here in London......apparently!!!) and this will reduce your average a fair bit.

Take a look at this site to help plot a good route wih the least incline and appx times etc.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/

Have fun and take it easy

Jonny

Luiji07

Hi Graham

Did you ever try this route ? I am wanting to do the commute but using off road along canal if possible - have you tried this?

Hi All,

Although I've been a regular visitor to the site, this is my first post so go easy on me!

I'm moving out into the wilds of Cheshire but hoping to get the train to Altrincham and then cycle into work by Deansgate Station on the A56. Does any commute from around Altrincham train station into Manchester city centre? What sort of time do you do it in? Currently, I commute from West Didsbury into town and it takes about 20 mins so I'm thinking it will take me around 25-30. Plus I'm about to take delivery of a new bike on the CTW scheme, so that's bound to make me faster!

Luiji07

Hi

Does the canal route go straight from altricham to city centre?
I know I can get on at Halfords in broadheath and was wondering canal path will lead me to city centre as I would like a commute off road as much as possible?

Hope you can help

Hi

I commute from Timperley to Manchester centre.

I usually do around 9-10 miles in 35-40 mins. There's a few twists & turns/lights on my route as I head through Sale Water Park & onto Chorlton.

If you're on a mountain bike you could use ther canal path for some of the route from around Timperley to Stretford-problem then comes from how you get to Manchester centre avoiding the A56. Unless your commute is very early/late then I really would advise staying away from this road.

I'd be happy to show you some routes I use. :smile:

400bhp

Guru
Hi Graham

Did you ever try this route ? I am wanting to do the commute but using off road along canal if possible - have you tried this?

Luiji

IIRC you would have to join the Canal around the Timperley area as I don't think the tow path extends through to Altrincham.

As I mention above the issue comes when the canal path runs out in Stretford.

400bhp

Guru
Hi

1. I know I can get on at Halfords in broadheath

2. and was wondering canal path will lead me to city centre as I would like a commute off road as much as possible?

Hope you can help

1. Yes, thats where I was thinking.

2. No it doesn't unfortunately. It stops at Stretford. However you could go over Sale Water Park & through Chorlton from there. There are some relatively traffic free routes into town from there. :smile:

Luiji07

Thanks for prompt reply

I am a little nervous using roads - do you have a route you could share that uses as little off road as possible

what is the commute time roughly?

I have red a few sites that state people can walk from altrincham to city centre along canal - does it just get too narrow for bikes?

1. Yes, thats where I was thinking.

2. No it doesn't unfortunately. It stops at Stretford. However you could go over Sale Water Park & through Chorlton from there. There are some relatively traffic free routes into town from there. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
From Altrincham, you could use the main road towards Sharston, but go past the North Entrance of Wythenshawe Park into Northenden, then up Pallatine Road - will bring you to Withington and you'll be on your usual route in.

400bhp

Guru
Thanks for prompt reply

I am a little nervous using roads - do you have a route you could share that uses as little off road as possible

what is the commute time roughly?

I have red a few sites that state people can walk from altrincham to city centre along canal - does it just get too narrow for bikes?

Here's a potential route from Stretford canal

route 1. The initial road is actually closed to cars (note I haven't been all the way down on a bike but there's nothing to suggest it is impassible), plus you go over a footbridge to avoid a large roundabout in the city centre.

Another alternative would be to jump off the canal in stretford and re-join it around Trafford Park rail. It's a while since I've been down the can this far but IIRC the furthest you can travel is up to Edge Lane in Stretford and I can't remember if there's access on/off the canal at this point.

Best thing to do is go down there on a day off and do a couple of reccy's.

Luiji07

Thanks - I will give it a go after work one night to try it out along canal as was only looking to do teh commute if off road

Here's a potential route from Stretford canal

route 1. The initial road is actually closed to cars (note I haven't been all the way down on a bike but there's nothing to suggest it is impassible), plus you go over a footbridge to avoid a large roundabout in the city centre.

Another alternative would be to jump off the canal in stretford and re-join it around Trafford Park rail. It's a while since I've been down the can this far but IIRC the furthest you can travel is up to Edge Lane in Stretford and I can't remember if there's access on/off the canal at this point.

Best thing to do is go down there on a day off and do a couple of reccy's.

Lell

You can get all the way to Castlefield at the south of the city centre by using the canal towpath. The canal forks at Traffford Park, and you need to take the right hand fork (over the bridge). The path gets a bit muddy and bumpy, but it is perfectly passable.

Luiji07

that is brilliant thanks I will give it a go

do you do this commute? you think it can be done in less than an hour (i wont be going fast as dont want to fall in canal :smile:)

You can get all the way to Castlefield at the south of the city centre by using the canal towpath. The canal forks at Traffford Park, and you need to take the right hand fork (over the bridge). The path gets a bit muddy and bumpy, but it is perfectly passable.

Top Bottom