Altura Night Vision Evo Jacket Review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan57

I bought this jacket in Feb 2010 and managed to get it at a decent price of £67 from a bike shop, when they were selling for around £80+ . So i`ve had it 2.5 years now and am looking to replace it , it is the evo jacket in red.

The good things about this jacket , it`s comfortable and doesn`t make any noise , not like some jackets that squeak and rustle, the cut is reasonably good. It is waterproof , although for me it has been a little "boil in the bag" sometimes especially on the arms. I have been caught in some heavy rain in this and it has preformed well. The main reflective strips are very bright and tough , still no dulling or lifting off of the jacket and they react to any light source, when hung in my hallway in the dark with just a little light coming from the living room the jacket is very visable. It`s reasonably light when worn and doesn`t affect my movement. In the winter I wear this and a micro fleece underneath and find that I am usually ok warmth wise , although I do tend to be warm anyway. The core venting zips on the side are adequate. The waterproofing is still good , I check this by going for a walk in the rain to see if it still holding up as when on the bike there can be a build up of internal sweat. I also line a dish with the jacket then poor water in the dish to see if the jacket "wets" out or leaks. The lining can also be checked for signs of wear and leaking.The red one is a very nice bright colour.

The bad points , since i`ve had the jacket i`ve had to repair the neck drawstring and the hem drawstrings as they have all detached from the jacket. I am hot heavy handed with it , they just pull out as they are not well sewn into the jacket. I have washed the jacket about 5 times as the roads near me are farm used and throw up lots of crap , mud etc. It is always washed at 40 degrees and with nik wash or soap flakes ,use nikwax tx to reproof then hung indoors to dry. The first wash the reflective tape around the left pocket became loose and I stuck it back , this has been a recurring problem. After about 3 weeks of owning it I went out in it with my phone in the upper chest pocket , when I got home the seal inside the pocket had failed and my phone , luckily ,had fallen into the lining. The zip has now jammed on this pocket , and the zips in general are very flimsy. The access holes where the drawcords on the hem enter the jacket are ripped because they are not reinforced and the constant rubbing of the cord rips the material. I don`t understand this as the neck one has a metal o ring to stop this happening , why not on the hem ? The core zips are ok but I think pit zips would have been better positoned for venting . The velcroe on the wrist straps is not well placed so when wearing fingerless gloves the jacket does not give a tight fit around the wrist , it`s ok with full gloves as they go under the cuff and then it`s not so loose. Althought the cut is ok , it would have been better with a slightly longer back as it doesn`t cover your bum when on the bike and this is an xl when really a large would have been fine for me. The sizing is generous, I have a 45 chest so went for the xl which is quite baggy in the front so a large would have suited me better.
It`s been a reasonable jacket but I think it could have been much better if the venting, zips and overall fixtures were better (drawcords etc) . I don`t think I will buy another because of the problems i`ve had with this one but I am going to keep using this one on my mouintain bike and buy a new jacket for the road. Am looking at the Madison Stellar 11 or Foska Dry 5 may be the Endura Flyte but the cost is a bit high on that one.

OP
OP
Alan57

Alan57

Added some pics IMAG0057.jpg IMAG0058.jpg IMAG0059.jpg IMAG0060.jpg IMAG0061.jpg IMAG0062.jpg IMAG0063.jpg IMAG0066.jpg

mattsr

I've had one of these jackets for about the same amount of time, maybe a couple of months longer, and I haven't encountered any of problems you mention with the zips or drawholes. I agree that a slightly longer back would be an improvement, but other than that I'm very happy with it. Would certainly buy again.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
on my 3rd night vision jacket . 1st one all the reflective panels started lifting off within a few days , replaced under wnty 2 nd one newer version didnt accept hood i bought extra for original jacket , this one was doing well till about 4 months ago when it started being porous on the sleeves and shoulders so it went back just before being 2 yrs old after a lot of toing and froing on e mail and phone it was replaced under wnty . if it hadnt been replaced foc i wouldnt buy another Altura which is a shame as the basic design is great

mattsr

I must be lucky with my jacket, although I will qualify that by saying that other Altura products I've bought have not been so good. Night Vision overshoes- the zips went after a few weeks; Overtrousers- the same problem, and with the gloves, after a few months use, every time I took them off, the lining turned inside out, making them pretty much impossible to get back on again. :banghead:

I've now replaced gloves and overshoes with Gripgrab products, which are a vast improvement.

So overall, not impressed with Altura, but the jacket does seem OK.....so far........:wacko:

Top Bottom