Altura night vision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

I need a jacket for the commute,

Im currently using one i got from Aldi. Its black though and the lads at work reckon its hard to see me when im leaving work.

Does anyone have an opinion on Altura night vision .....is it as good as it claims to be? I have read a couple of posts that tell of dodgy zips...!

I didnt really want to spend too much money so are there any cheaper alternatives of the night vision that anyone can recommend?

Bigtallfatbloke

I have a night vision Jacket. It's a nice jacket and highly visable at night. I bought the black version as I use it off the bike as well. I need to wear a Hi vis vest over it during the daytime...maybe I should have bought the yellow version.

The zips are ok except for the chest pocket which is a little sticky.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got the yellow one... using it day in, day out at the moment... slight lifting of a bit of reflective on the back, but I like it. I wouldn't of minded it being slightly longer at the back. When it wears out I would probably buy another one. I always have the pit zips undone - acts as pockets for my gloves if I get hot on route.

Tynan

Veteran
got a yellow one two months old, the main zip fob bust in a month, the metal snapped, it's silly fragile, a piece of string does the job now

first, the visibility is superb, night and day, I really noticed people seeing me and very early when I started wearing it (every day), that's excellent, it also seems very waterproof and I love it first thing in the morning, very snug, the wrist straps and the side zips do help to cool the jacket as you heat up

very nice fit too, I'm usually an XL but it fits very snug and well in the L

but at some point it does get sweaty, it's a very warm jacket and I finish most rides with it at least half unzipped, and that's over a short sleeve

so it's not going to be practical for me outside winter which is a shame, I do work u a decent sweat most rides though so maybe it's me to a point

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Unfortunately the Altura jackets have made my entry for the crappiest thread (runner up to a Busch and Muller Toplight Permanent - Christmas-cracker build quality at BMW prices). I've had two night-visions and both have suffered zip failure (the zip proper and not just the pull like Tynan). The first was in reasonably well-used middle age but had been suffering from stickyzipitis from 3-4 months old, but the second was just a nipper of two months when the whole zip just jammed up solid. Apart from this, they were great winter jackets, but I won't be getting another.

Dormouse

I have moaned about this overrated jacket several times on this site. The zip is sticky and the fob soon snapped off. The elastic tighteners at the neck and waist snapped within weeks and cannot be repaired easily. A cheap alternative would be to buy one of those yellow reflective gilets from a builders merchants for £5 or less and put it over your regular jacket.

bonj2

however dodgy the zips are, they won't be as dodgy as aldi zips! I've tried an aldi coat on and been unable to get it off IN THE SHOP...

Tynan

Veteran
sure thing bonj but it really is a league above for visibility in my experience, I come home through London late three nights a week and I really do want max visibility no messing, and it certainly has delivered that which is why I keep wearing it despite it being a bit warm, and it's dead comf too, the mesh lining is very good

some sort of gillet is being fingered for warmer weather

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Decathlon have some 'night vision' type jackets at the moment - loads of reflective panels/designs.....and a two year no quibble guarantee - get a membership card as you won't need to keep the receipt - the purchase will be on your account.

Tynan

Veteran
saw the hi viz stuff in a rapid visit to Deco for some Horse kit (for the daughter)

looked alright, liked the gillet

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The advantage of the jacket over a gillet type thing is when you are signalling your arm is hopefully more visiable too.

nigelj

well i was so pleased with the waterproof that i've just bought the windproof, both in yellow. I have another Altura windproof and have had no probs with that and I find the zips no worse that my Gill waterproof, their just tight presumably to make them watertight..

Chris James

Über Member
I have the Night Vision windproof and have had no problems with the zip. Perfect jacket for conditions like these. Having said that, if it is as crappy at the weekend as they are forecasting I might just lie in bed instead of going for a spin!

Top Bottom