Altura Sonic any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Currently looking at some small panniers for the commute to work and eventually some touring. Has anyone any experience with the Altura Sonic bags or any alternatives people recommend? Cheers

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Altura have a good name. i also have Ortleib panniers which are waterproof and pretty bombproof, but expensive. For the past 3 years I have been using Biltema panniers. Biltima is sort of the Scandanavian Halfords. The bags are equally as good as Ortleib but a fraction of the price. Unfortunately, they dont do mail order.

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Yes the Ortleib panniers look really good but like you say you pay for that quality, haven't heard of Biltima il have a look online

BurningLegs

Veteran
My first set of panniers were a Lidl special buy. They had two plastic hooks at the top and a useless velcro strap at the bottom. I used a bungee around the middle to stop the bag moving away from the rack, and the plastic hooks at the top worked fine. The bags were showerproof without any additional protection, and included an integrated rain cover for anything more than a shower.

For the price, I do think they were good value, but there are much better bags available. I was lucky enough to receive some Ortliebs for my birthday, and they really are the gold standard - absolutely solid as a rock, with no movement at all.

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
The Ortlieb's sound like they warrant their price tag. I'm needing something durable and waterproof as they'll have my work gear, food (I take a lot 12 hour shifts!!), waterproofs puncture kit and some tools. Cheers burninglegs il see what's online at the moment

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Unfortunately, they don't sell online. I have 2 sets of Ortleibs in the shed. Biltema should go into bikepacking gear.

I was just interested in what the Biltema gear was like, shame they don't sell online! Think I'm going to head to somewhere that stocks Ortleibs and see what their like, I've not heard any negatives so far

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Cheers steveindenmark :okay: no function over fashion for me colour doesn't matter!

Top Bottom