Aluminium bike buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
recently destroyed my second carbon framed bike. I’ve decide to go aluminium but don’t really know where to start. Could anyone offer advice. I want it to be my summer specific main bike. budgets around 2000 quid. Spec wise 105 up, maybe hydraulic disc brakes. 28mm tyre clearance. I have had a good look at the caad12 but everyone I speak to says not to bother. I was riding a BMC grand fondo gf01.
How have you managed to destroy the carbon frames? Are you especially heavyset or prone to crashing? If so, steel frames can be repaired...whatever killed the carbons would in all likelihood do the same to alu

Venod

Eh up
Well I don’t really know ‍♂️. Everyone is hating on the caad 12 bb30 bottom bracket

Have all these people had problems with BB30 or is it just word of mouth, I have had two (still have one) frames with BB30, no problems with either, I am aware though that people have had problems. it wouldn't put me off a decent frame.

I was knocked of my Cannondale CX the carbon forks along with my shoulder were broken the aluminium frame was OK, the forks legs completely sheared off, if the whole frame had been carbon would it have survived, who knows.

Last edited:

johnblack

Über Member
Have all these people had problems with BB30 or is it just word of mouth, I have had two (still have one) frames with BB30, no problems with either, I am aware though that people have had problems. it wouldn't put me off a decent frame.

I've never had an issue with BB30 either (not specifically CAAD).

Most mid-high level frames from major brands are built by one of the big five Taiwanese frame factories.
There are very few artisan/workshop built aluminium frames and those that are may not be any better than one made in Taiwan.

The issues I’ve had with BB30s were on new bearings in existing frames. The frames and original bearings kind of wear together, and when you put the new bearings in, you are essentially pressing a perfectly round cup, into a slightly mis shapen hole. Then they creak like a good’un in short order, due to tolerances. I just binned the BB30 and went with a wheels manufacturing HT2 adaptor.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm also kind of wondering how you destroy a carbon frame in a way that is a fault of the material?

Aluminium has to be about the most susceptible material for fatigue and strain damage. I have recently shunned aluminium for a commuter in favour of steel after getting a nonsensical crack in an ali frame after only 8yrs and 20'000 miles!

Aluminium alloy frames are very dependent on how good the welds are. Crap welds will fail prematurely.

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Just because it keeps cropping up....rear mech hanger came off and took the chain stay with it. And the second one basically I think got dropped at work by someone ( it was only due to a recent service I found out about the crack) and cracked the top tube.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Whilst I would not specifically rule out a bike for having a pressfit bottom bracket (like a BB30), I would not rule out a bike because of it. If (and it is a big if) you do get creaking then it is not too difficult to fix.

Top Bottom