Aluminium corrosion on headtube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricnott

Following a wet and windy ride home the other night I noticed some corrosion on my head tube. This is on my trusty trek aluminium 1.2 from 2009. It is my workhorse commuter bike and has seen hard work summer and winter. Over the years I have upgraded all components and the only original parts are handlebars, frame and steerer bearings (top and bottom). I have a nice pair of sturdy hand built wheels and full 105 11 speed group set. As the bike has seen good service it doesn't owe me anything but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the frame. The corrosion is on the crown of the forks, the top and bottom of the head tube.

I am considering the following options:
1 - get the frame blasted and powder coated and replace the bearings
2 - getting a new trek 1.1 on cycle to work scheme and sell the stock group set and fit my 105
3 - live with it

Thoughts and comments welcomed

screenman

Legendary Member
Live with it.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The forks have just lost a bit of paintwork - a lot of forks chip in this area. I just clean the area and then apply some enamel paint directly to the metal ( you could use some primer if you wanted) and this will both tidy it up and also reduce the chance of more paintwork chipping away.

I'd also change the bearings.

Magik

Hi, rather than creating a new post I thought I would post on this one. I have a similar problem with my aluminium head tube. Wondering how bad it is and will cleaning/sanding + repainting fix the problem...

Thanks for any advice!
magni 1.jpg
magni 2.jpg
with powder.jpg
without powder.jpg

the snail

Guru
get all the flakey paint off, rub back to clean metal, then use a primer for aluminium would be my suggestion. Might be best to remove the headset races first?

KneesUp

Guru
Re: enamel - I've taken to using clear enamel on any chips on my (steel) bike so I get patina but not corrosion.

Magik

Do you think there could have been any serious damage to the frame due to this corrosion? That's what I'm really concerned about, whether it's worth to invest in fixing it or give up on it. I will take the races over the weekend to see what's going on beneath it and update. Thanks!

Do you think there could have been any serious damage to the frame due to this corrosion? That's what I'm really concerned about, whether it's worth to invest in fixing it or give up on it. I will take the races over the weekend to see what's going on beneath it and update. Thanks!
I can't imagine there frame would be damaged because of this, just follow the above advice, prep, prime and an enamel paint, local model shop will have a range of colours in cheap small tins.

Magik

Thanks for all the replies, it was nice to see the positivity but I have a bad UPDATE:
After stripping the bike down and inspecting the head tube, I found what looks like a terrible break/melt area in the top part of the head tube (one photo is the view from the bottom up showing the normal hole):

I believe the break coincides with the staining on the fork steerer.

Time to say goodbye to my Principia love?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 24

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Road salt can cause serious damage to aluminium if it's under stress (the head tube is being stressed slightly by the headset cup). I had a Goldtec hub flange break away after a few winters' use. Powdery corrosion and then about four spokes' worth just came away. The oily RH flange was fine.

Top Bottom