Aluminium nipples...

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by apb, 20 Jul 2012.

1. apb

apb Über Member

are rubbish! Don't why i bought then to rebuild my back wheel. They were available at my LBS, so i got them.

Truing and dishing the wheel last night and some of the nipples on the drive side, that have a higher tension, look like they been through the wars. One of the ends of the nipple, where you wrap the spoke key around, broke off from the rest of the nipple when i was loosing it.

I think i hit the end of the thread and when i went the other way it just snapped.

So the wheel is 1/4 turn from being the straightess (is that a word) its ever been.

Only steel from now on.

2. is it too late to tell you not to use aluminium nipples on the drive side..?

3. OP
    OP
    apb

apb Über Member

aye, lesson has been learnt.

4. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

Brass are the nipples of choice, no? I might be wrong but thought the gooduns were brass not steel.

5. OP
    OP
    apb

apb Über Member

yes, that's what i meant. But cunningly didn't say.

6. Sounds like too much spoke tension to me. I've never had an issue with aluminium nips, even on 28 hole, front 32 rear mountain bike wheels and I weigh 16 stone.

7. OP
    OP
    apb

apb Über Member

i was pretty careful with the spoke tension. I have a tension metre that says the spokes are in a acceptable range.

I think my spoke key is a little worn and my have contributed to the problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice