Aluminium or Carbon Road Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bshfrd

Hi there,

I've been slowly upgrading over the years from vintage hipster pieces of crap to more and more 'serious' road bikes (within my student budget, that is). Unfortunately my last aluminium/carbon fork Boardman commuter was stolen a couple of months ago, and the time has come to replace it. I'm buying second-hand, and without the luxury to choose exactly what specs I want, I'd appreciate some advice on these two that I've narrowed the selection down to.

I intend to use it as an all-purpose commuter, for getting from one point in London to another as quickly and smoothly as possible. I would cover an average of 200km a week with my previous bike as I cover 40km most days cycling to my rowing club. I am 6ft, and not sure if getting an exact-size frame for my size is worth holding out for weeks, considering it's hard to find a bargain at the right price and right specs.

First up is a Boardman Team Road Bike 2011https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-team-review-2/ , aluminium alloy triple butted frame at £220, 53cm frame.

The other option is a Boardman Team Carbon 2016, 52cm frame, at £230, but located at the other end of the country, so I'd have to travel far to get it. https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-team-carbon-16-review/

The differences between these two seem slight, so I am not sure if I am considering this too much. Any advice from more seasoned cyclists would be well appreciated!

Thank you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would say both are too small for you anyway , even given halfords sizing of measuring the seat tube rather than top tube those measurements if im right make them a medium frame, equivalent of a 55.5 top tube which i would say is too small for you ,
Generally boardmans sizing 51.5 = 54 top tube , 53 = 55.5 and 55.5= 57 top tube .

For commuting i personally would not use full carbon , i know many do but i feel if you and an accident/ off or someone damages it in a bike rack an alloy frame is less prone to serious damage whereas carbon although strong in the way its designed for can be weak to forces in odd directions .

vickster

Legendary Member
I think those bikes are too small too.

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/service/sizing-advice.html

It's doable to ride a bike that's a bit too big, but uncomfortable to be riding a bike that's too small. I got a used carbon Giant road bike for £200 on Sphock and a decent Dawes mtb for £30 on ebay . Keep looking, something will turn up.
The general advice is to go a little small rather than too big. You can add a longer stem, layback post but you can’t make a frameset smaller, especially the top tube, seat tube etc. Having locked elbows, overreaching will cause issues potentially (a too big bike gave me chronic tennis elbow which needed 2 operations to fix when everything else failed).
However, if buying a new /new to you bike, there’s no reason to get the wrong size. There’s loads of choice, may just need to be patient or look further afield

Last edited:
Top Bottom