Aluminium vs Carbon Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aserota

Über Member
Another question (or two) for you all;

1. Are there carbon wheels that are suitable for daily commuting (taking into consideration there are poor roads around)?

2. Will i feel a noticable difference in performance between a £120 set of falcrum aluminium wheels with an ultegra cassette and a £500 set of deep dish carbon wheels with a dura ace groupset? and if so is it that noticeable?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Carbon wheels? For commuting? I'd say no. I'd be scared of trashing them or having them stolen.
And I doubt you'd feel so much difference between the two wheels you mention. Deep rims are lovely and aero for TT but they're not so light.
Just my opinion. It's a lovely dilemma to have though! ;)

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
I have the falcrums (aluminium wheelset) which seem ok for the moment, especially @ their price.

I have a set of deep dish aero trigon carbon wheels, however the rear has delaminated and will need a new carbon rim, so am deciding whether there is any point getting a new rear wheel?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Carbon wheels are for racing and 'events' - not every day... unless you have cash to burn.........

If the hubs are good, get them built into some good Mavic Open Pro's...

thebikemarket

Carbon wheels have been designed to be light, aero dynamic, stiff... and expensive - hence geared towards racing rather than commuting.

Reynolds do an Assault wheel which is designed for every day riding - however, there are several things you need to consider:

1. Have you got money to burn????
2. Carbon wheels are typically deep sectioned - and can get caught by side wind - not ideal for commuting!
3. They are very rigid - hence not the most comfortable ride for commuting - especially if your roads are poor.

Will you feel the difference in performance??? Yes... but is it worth it if you are commuting... probably not.

One thing to consider - dura ace blocks and chains are not durable - if you are considering making an upgrade with wheels with say Dura Ace Hubs - go with an Ultegra block and chain!

Top Bottom