Alvaston to Swadlincote (Overseal) route advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
I will be picking up a bike (a 2013 Merida Ride Lite 93, for my son) from Alvaston on Wednesday and I want to ride it home. My brother is taking me there in his car and I could put it in his boot, but that just aint going to happen ;) :bicycle:

I`m looking to tap up local knowledge from you Derbyshire lads and lasses for a nice and safe route home.

@MickeyBlueEyes
@cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
mmm
Chellaston road /Derby road
A5132 tywford road to Willington ?

Steady

Über Member
Off the top of my head, the Alvaston - Chellaston to the Willington Road could be done along the multi-use Allenton/Sheldon Lock cycle path leaving you at Swarkstone Lock which leads right out onto the Twyford/Willington Road.

That's if you're a fan of off-road cycle paths, it's nicely paved. A lot of retractable lead dog walkers though might make the main road a better option, but it's popular for cyclists and is reasonably scenic if the weather is as good as it was today.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Off the top of my head, the Alvaston - Chellaston to the Willington Road could be done along the multi-use Allenton/Sheldon Lock cycle path leaving you at Swarkstone Lock which leads right out onto the Twyford/Willington Road.

That's if you're a fan of off-road cycle paths, it's nicely paved. A lot of retractable lead dog walkers though might make the main road a better option, but it's popular for cyclists and is reasonably scenic if the weather is as good as it was today.
Cheers cycle paths are not something I tend to think of as the only time I have ridden around there is with the club

OP
OP
Lilliburlero

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Thanks for the input, guys.

Tywford road is a long drag but avoids the rat run across swarkestone bridge which i wouldnt chance on a bike unless i had too

Thanks, I was looking at the Swarkestone Bridge route, but I don`t think I`ll bother now.... I`ll go for the Willington route and then head for Ticknall via Repton. I had a ride out to Willington a few weeks ago so I should be fine from there.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd be tempted to use the Cloud Trail out of Derby (part of NCN 6) then cross country via Ashby.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...-trail&usg=AFQjCNE76GkOgJygggK_gZrnMrUkF3F4WQ

Top Bottom