Always Check Your Hanger, Even on a New Bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
New bike arrived last week. Only done 2 rides of 30 miles each. First ride was a couple of hills where I didn’t need the lowest gears. Second ride was all hills.

When did I find out that I could stay in any of the lowest 3 gears?

On a short sharp 16% climb. :smile:

Anyway, spent half an hour looking at it tonight and couldn’t get all gears to work smoothly, so the hanger tool was brought out. There was a good 15mm of difference vertically, along with about 7mm horizontally. There’s no surprise that gears weren’t very smooth!

The morale of the story is to check your hangers, even when brand new.

In fairness to the bike shop, I had this one couriered to me, so the likelihood is very high that it happened during the journey. No complaints in that regard.

I tend to check the hanger alignment every few weeks, or after the bikes been knocked around by some complete buffoon on a train, that can’t be bothered to put their mountain bike in the rack properly, and just let it ping around banging into the bikes that are in properly, but that’s a whole ‘nother thing:angry:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Don’t like the sound of that tbh. Would drive me insane.

I usually check mine when I get them, but was clearly too busy (excited) and forgot.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
This is my third, but only one that had a bent hanger. That probably is very lucky tbh.

I built a bike for my Brother last night and his was out of alignment after delivery also. Nigh on exactly the same way too, which won’t be a surprise.

fatjel

Veteran
I guess you should be pleased the hanger has done its job.
That first one after a week of head scratching I put the hanger in a vice and hit it with a bit of 4x2
Have since bought the proper tool which was one of my better investments

scotjimland

Have since bought the proper tool which was one of my better investments

2lb lump hammer ? :whistle:

Top Bottom