Always sick when cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
Are you possibly not warmed up enough, as you really need to be for any strenuous exercise?

I don't really do any specific warm-up exercises, I just do a little bit of stretching and take the first couple of miles really slow (in a low gear with no pushing at all).

If I went out at full pace right from the very start, I'm sure I'd be feeling it after 10km.
It has to be this - just take it easy for the first few miles
While it might indeed be just not being properly warmed up as I suggested, in the light of subsequent posts I really would echo those who suggest it's worth checking with the doc - especially if people are seeing similarity with heart problem cases.

Tom B

Guru
How active are you generally?

Is it specific to cycling, does running or swimming have the same effect? I'm a fit and able cyclist and know my zones. However I'm a technicaly awful swimmer and usually hit my cardiovascular limit quickly and hard. Too much swimming too fast makes me want to puke... Lots.

Is it possible that the relief you get from pouring water over your head is actually relief from stopping while you pour and getting your co2 / O2 levels under control.

My basic understanding is that your body sees you are exercising and needs to send blood to the lungs, muscles and skin (to cool). The digestion of food is not then a priority so it gets rid of the stomach contents. There is actually a part of the brain dedicated to controlling emesis it's called the area prostrema or something similar.

I have always struggled with the first mile or two and I'm pretty fit. I always think the first mile is the worst of any ride and it's the bit that puts me off going out. Its made worse in so much as from my house in every direction there is a hill within the first mile (the steepest being 1:4). If I go too hard in the first couple of miles I feel grim.

Start of slowly at first and build up to it, do a couple of laps around the block... Not every ride is a race.

Try going for a brisk walk first, to get you going.

Don't drink too much all at once, little and often for an hour before and an hour after. I work on roughly a litre an hour

Mrs Tom B can't exercise with anything in her stomach as it makes her chuck up. This is worse in a morning so if she is cycling or running she either has a super early breaking or eats after (not sensible if your cycling more than a hour).

Do you ride with a backpack? Yellowsaddle once mentioned about the back being an important large surface area to help regulate core temp. I've since tried to use a backpack less and seem to boil up less.

Do you have a Hrm?

As for will it get better... The answer is yes... How long it takes is anyone's guess, but it'll sneak up on you and depends on your starting point. Just ease up on cracking along and don't forget to.enjoy it... What's the point of living and being alive if your not having fun along the way.

Pointless vomit trivia number 2
The areas / corridors outside of an auditorium where an audience enters and exits is known as a vomitorium.

Last edited:
Top Bottom