Always sick when cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MSBiker

I have been cycling for a month about 5 times a week. I usually do about 10 km, but every time I go out I get really sick. My face gets tomato red, I get hot, tired and nauseous. When I pour water on my head it helps but the feeling always comes back. Will this ever go away? How long until I get better?

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
With cycling you tend not to realise how hot and sweaty you are getting until you stop, as the breeze keeps the sweat evaporated. It is worth taking it easy for a bit for a few hundred metres before stopping so you don't go into full sweat mode when you stop.

With the nausea are you drinking sufficient, but not too much water before you set off? Dehydration and over hydration can cause nausea not helped because blood tends to flow away from your stomach when exercising.

That said, if it is just embarrassing I would stick at it, it is likely to reduce as your fitness improves. If it is debilitating I would go to your GP just to rule out any health related issues.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I have been cycling for a month about 5 times a week. I usually do about 10 km, but every time I go out I get really sick. My face gets tomato red, I get hot, tired and nauseous. When I pour water on my head it helps but the feeling always comes back. Will this ever go away? How long until I get better?
Try pouring the water into the hole on the front of your head, instead of on the top of it.;)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Drink more, and stop trying so hard. Start slowly, take your time. Gradually build up the length you are cycling and the effort you are putting into it.

Take it slowly and enjoy the ride. Plenty of time to build things up. Amd spin. Don't grind away. Good luck

Alan O

Über Member
Are you possibly not warmed up enough, as you really need to be for any strenuous exercise?

I don't really do any specific warm-up exercises, I just do a little bit of stretching and take the first couple of miles really slow (in a low gear with no pushing at all).

If I went out at full pace right from the very start, I'm sure I'd be feeling it after 10km.

S-Express

If you were to describe your symptoms to a doctor, they would probably suggest an ECG. The nausea will be an immediate red flag for them. Stop cycling in the meantime, and if you haven't already made an appointment to see a doctor - make one.

If you were to describe your symptoms to a doctor, they would probably suggest an ECG. The nausea will be an immediate red flag for them. Stop cycling in the meantime, and if you haven't already made an appointment to see a doctor - make one.

Do what S-Express has posted. Whilst some very good advise has been posted in reply to your request, I guess few are medical trained and are advising from their own experiences, but we are all different in age and physical fitness. And it is recommanded to get a medical check before taking up a new physical sport at any age.

the stupid one

Über Member

Do what S-Express has posted. Whilst some very good advise has been posted in reply to your request, I guess few are medical trained and are advising from their own experiences, but we are all different in age and physical fitness. And it is recommanded to get a medical check before taking up a new physical sport at any age.

I just showed the OP to a doctor and she did indeed suggest an ECG. Look after yourself.

adamangler

Veteran
Ive done this loads of times, short hard rides of under an hour

straight out the door cold and smash myself to bits. come back feeling dizzy, nauseous and quite unwell for a while after.

A good 20 min warm up and cool down with the same session in the middle doesnt feel half as bad when im done.

i have a heart condition which makes me panic when i feel unwell on the bike anyway

Are you possibly not warmed up enough, as you really need to be for any strenuous exercise?

I don't really do any specific warm-up exercises, I just do a little bit of stretching and take the first couple of miles really slow (in a low gear with no pushing at all).

If I went out at full pace right from the very start, I'm sure I'd be feeling it after 10km.

It has to be this - just take it easy for the first few miles

+1 for seeing a doctor. I hope @slowmotion won't mind me sharing this here

I was on a night ride to Brighton, five years ago. I felt pretty dreadful just getting to the start, and nearly bottled out at Clapham Common. Somewhere in Mitcham (I think), there was a small railway bridge ahead and I thought "There's no way I can get over that!", and turned for home. Three weeks later I was under the knife having a double coronary bypass, a completely undiagnosed condition until four days before the operation. I guess my body had spoken on the way to Brighton. Anyway, I managed Ditchling Beacon for the first time in my life six months later, and I've wheezed up it a few times since. Just ride your bike and enjoy it.

Top Bottom