Always struggling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
Good luck getting things worked out. I don't know how old you are (not that it really matters I suppose) but if you are still feeling bad you may also want to get a physical by your doctor if you haven't had one in a while. :okay:

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks all, to answer a few points, I am in slightly too large a gear as the front deraileur is knackered so always in the big ring on the front (In know, I know, should fix it!)
But, to counter that, by choosing the lowest gear I can get away with on the back, it is pretty low geared
Yeah, but then you're cross-chaining and wasting some energy on twisting the chain at each end and stuff like that. Not as bad as the brake or saddle problems, but it still won't help. If you can't fix it or afford to get an LBS to fix it, maybe ask on local clubs email or facebook groups and see if there's a volunteer mechanic who'll take pity on you?

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Yeah, but then you're cross-chaining and wasting some energy on twisting the chain at each end and stuff like that. Not as bad as the brake or saddle problems, but it still won't help. If you can't fix it or afford to get an LBS to fix it, maybe ask on local clubs email or facebook groups and see if there's a volunteer mechanic who'll take pity on you?

What I meant was that by keeping it in reasonable gearing (without dropping to the bottom gear on the back, about half way) it's still fairly low geared, certainly compared to the road bike.
I will get it sorted, but time is the enemy. If I can't do it by the weekend I'll take it to the LBS which is actually 20 miles away and it will be at least a week before I get it back which is why I've let it get this bad!
There is the full-susser I could use, but as it's built as an all-mountain bike and sounds like a land rover when running it on tarmac, I really don't fancy commuting on that!

Anyway, I'm quite looking forward to the commute home. Fast(ish) road bike, T shirt, clear Blue skies, blazing sunshine and a tail wind. Doesn't get much better than that :biggrin:

Top Bottom