Always the left-hand pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gom

Über Member
1615484668242.png
I use these MKS Sylvan Touring pedals on all my non-Bromptons as they suit my sub-optimal feet.
After a good amount of use the left one only develops a click when under pressure and I now have 3 unused right ones, and three left ones waiting to be serviced (perhaps...). Others thrown away in the past, so happened at least 5 times.
Anyone had anything similar? With any type of pedal?
Is there an obvious reason for the left to go first? Maybe I'm lop-sided.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We all have a dominant side, mine is my right. I can't say I've ever noticed anything wearing out more quickly because of it. Possibly your dominant side is the left and you exert more pressure on this pedal?

You can check for dominance by standing on one leg. Your balance will be better on the dominant side.

davidphilips

Veteran
Are you by any chance cleaning the bike and using a hose? know if you hose down a bike from the right theres a chance of some water getting into l/h pedal?

Last edited:
When I was a kid I was taught to start off by putting my foot on the left pedal and scooting the bike along then cocking my leg over the seat

Hence my full weight is on the left pedal - and I have been blaming that for my left pedal creaking at times - could that be the same for you??

simongt

Guru
As the Sylvan Tour is designed to be owner serviceable, have you considered preventitive maintenance - ? Perhaps every year stripping the pair down & repalcing the bearings on the left pedal at the time. :whistle:

OP
OP
gom

gom

Über Member
Some interesting thoughts.
I always dismount on the left, so use the right pedal for kerb propping, even if that means turning 180deg.
I ought to service them I know, but easier just to replace. However I am now a gentleman of “leisure” so maybe....
It may be just down to the way I ride. Stomach (full of cake/parkin) on the left makes a difference? :hungry:

OP
OP
gom

gom

Über Member
Glad to hear I’m not alone. Sadly mine is always the left pedal as well.
Hmmm... Perhaps there should be a poll? But maybe not enough interest.

simongt

Guru
Have wondered this as I've been riding Shimano M515s / M525s for years now. As both models are double sided, it's impossible to measure wear as you can't tell which side is being used more than another. I've always pushed off on the right pedal, but unclip the left for compulsory stops, so wonder if this evens out the wear a bit - ? :whistle:

Top Bottom