Am I an RLJer, was I ‘bad’?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Approaching a junction today, a light controlled crossroad. There’s lighting at the entrance and opposite exit sides of the junction. As I approached I saw the lights go from green to amber, but figured I knew the timing of these lights.

As I got to the junction entrance the lights were on amber and I carried on thro. However, literally a split second later the lighting at the other side went to red….

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Strictly speaking, you're not an RLJ'er because you crossed the stop line when the light was on amber, I'd guess.

My personal experiences of doing this (going through amber lights) have not been pleasant though, and as such it's not something I like doing (I've been through on amber once or twice, but only where I couldn't have stopped safely because of the conditions/traffic).

Generally I start to slow when I see an amber light, in preparation for stopping safely on red.

wafflycat

Effectively, yes you are, as amber means 'stop' May I give you the Highway Code..

"AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident"

It doesn't mean 'proceed if you think you know the timings of the lights' Honest.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Strictly speaking, you're supposed to stop on amber, unless to do so would cause an accident (IE another vehicle behind rammin into you because you jammed the brakes on as it went amber as you were nearly at the line)

<Damn the new website, how do you link to a pdf for proof?>

Pause for ironic laughter at the thought of many people, cyclists or motorists stopping on amber...

Maz

Guru
You're an 'amber gambler', gambatte. You got away with it!

OT - do you know anyone who has a spare ticket for Blades v Wendy's this w/e at H'boro? Preferably at the away end, but hey, beggars cant be choosers.

Tynan

Veteran
I take amber if I'm going quick, maybe the odd early red

if it's safe, thems London rules

spec if something like a car or bus is doing it with me

for me proper rlj is cold blood solid red jumping, that's what causes accidents, there's plenty of time beween the phases

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
but what about filtering to the front to avoid getting left hooked, even when no asl means you end up waiting over the stop line (but before the actual junction)? guilty as charged, and here to tell you so as a consequence.

Tynan

Veteran
alecstilleyedye said:
but what about filtering to the front to avoid getting left hooked, even when no asl means you end up waiting over the stop line (but before the actual junction)? guilty as charged, and here to tell you so as a consequence.

no problem with that here, at all, although some would stay start further back, I've been trying that lately, from primary usually and it's cool, although it's usually because I can't get to the front safely

Top Bottom