Am I being stupid??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
If you could find another time in the week when you could go out on your own, even for an hour or so, it would help you improve that little bit quicker and maybe not feel quite so guilty when out with hubby.

Ern1e

Über Member
My wife goe's out on rides with me ok she is slower but I like the slower pace now and again you see more and we tend to not take on the more serious hills around here, so go out with them you will get faster etc and as said before if they did not want you there they would not have asked :thumbsup:

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
And me! I cycle alone but would love to be able to find someone to train with. I have never ridden with a group.

It's quite heart warming to see we all want to ride with our other halves. My goal is a family ride, my boys are 6 and 71/2 the youngest is just a bit to scatty for the roads.
If it's any help, I go out most Sunday afternoons, taking in Evesham, or a circuit of Bredon Hill. The short ride is 9 miles, medium one of 16 miles includes Pershore, while my tour of Bredon is about 26 miles.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Pour sand down his seat post :gun:

You're in the best position really though, having riding buddies that are a bit faster than you means that you're getting the best workout and should see decent improvements if you do it frequently enough. Are your bikes comparably fast and weighted down? Part of me has an image of a 'patient husband' sat at the top of a hill on his carbon fibre racer, waiting for his wife to drag her fully laden supermarket special up so he can have a drink ;)

If it's any help, I go out most Sunday afternoons, taking in Evesham, or a circuit of Bredon Hill. The short ride is 9 miles, medium one of 16 miles includes Pershore, while my tour of Bredon is about 26 miles.

Thanks very much, but at the moment getting a pass out on a weekend is difficult with the two little ones as my wife looks forward to me helping her sat/sun.
Never say never though!

OP
OP
hobbitonabike

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
Pour sand down his seat post :gun:

You're in the best position really though, having riding buddies that are a bit faster than you means that you're getting the best workout and should see decent improvements if you do it frequently enough. Are your bikes comparably fast and weighted down? Part of me has an image of a 'patient husband' sat at the top of a hill on his carbon fibre racer, waiting for his wife to drag her fully laden supermarket special up so he can have a drink ;)

Lol that did make me chuckle...hubby on a cannondale caad 8 and me on a cannondale synapse so sadly I can't blame the bike lol

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Great idea. When I started my hubby came with me a few times, but didn't like me waiting for him. I told him I didn't mind at all and I enjoyed it, but he wouldn't come after a few times. On one occasion we did our short route in opposite directions so he didn't feel under pressure which meant I saw him on the way round for a quick hello, but, since then, unfortunately he's lost the bug and doesn't go out with me.

I also suggested different start times, but he didn't like that idea either.

I've just got to do the majority of my miles on my own, with another few with a group of girls occasionally. And I LIKE waiting at the top of slopes, etc for some of ladies, it means I can breathe and chat

Keep it up an keep them company.

This sounds suspiciously like a bloke who can't face being slower than a women, and in particular, his OH!

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
yea it fun cycling and more fun cycling with someone..i am diein for a cycling buddy

I ride by myself. I'd like a buddy too!

e-rider

crappy member
Once a week my hubby and my brother in law head out on the bikes and a couple of weeks ago I went too. I kept getting left behind and they had to keep stopping for me. I knew this would happen as they have been cycling for longer than me. But I felt increasingly like I was ruining their ride and that coupled with my technicolour temper and tendancy to be far too hard on myself resulted in an entertaining meltdown that consisted of a multitude of swear words!! I did take it out on some hills which became quite productive lol. The thing is...the guys still want me to come....not sure if it's for entertainment value or what lol. They say they don't mind waiting for me and last week I didn't go and when hubby came back they had been further and faster which only affirmed to me that they will have better rides without me tagging on holding them back. But they're still saying they want me to come and I want to but get frustrated that at the moment I can't hold my own with them. So what would others do? Would you not go until you have the miles up a bit or would you go and use it as a reason to drive you on? I am torn between which to do. I have a shocking temper when it goes and don't want to ruin their ride. All constructive comments and pi$$ taking welcome!!!
perhaps they like the lycra cycling shorts?

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
If I was cycling with anyone regularly that was not up to the same standard as me I would take out a slower bike, this would mean i was still working at a decent rate and not leaving any one behind. I know this could mean having more bikes but who doesn't want that? So tell your husband to get himself a butchers bike then see if HE can keep up.

Top Bottom