Am i being too ambitious?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cole4ord

Hi all

I have a question. I have recently got into cycling in a big way. Currently have a mountain bike but only ride on the roads. I have just ordered my first road bike (Specialized Secteur) that i am picking up on saturday. I have decided to set myself a challenge. In live in Somerset and in July myself, my fiancee and friends are making our annual trip to Woolacombe and i have set myself the target of cycling there (only 1 way). The journey from where i live is 92 miles and the trip is 11 weeks away. I am 26 and I have a fairly good level of fitness (gym 5 days a week for the last few years) and am currently trying to do 2 rides a week (a short midweek ride of about 10 miles and a big ride at weekends). On the weekend ride i am trying to increase my milage by 5 miles each week. Just completed 25 miles and although i was feeling it towards the end i managed to finish it.

So for those more experienced than myself do you think it is possible to get to this level in that amount of time? Am i training enough? Has anyone else ever done anything similar? Any other advice for the training or the actual trip?

jimboalee

Yup.

Mike!

Guru
Shouldn't be a problem.

I've never really been into cycling in a big way (just starting too!) and a few years back by Girlfriend (now Wife) wanted me to do the london to brighton with her (about 56 miles i think).

I did 2 rides of about 10 miles and one of 24 and that was it (didn't go to the gym or anything so wouldn't consider myself fit)

Made it to Brighton fine with no ill effects :biggrin:

viniga

Guru
It's possible. You are starting from a good level of fitness and (I assume) your goal is to get there in one day, not race there as hard as you can. I would also assume luggage is going ahead with the friends.

Your basic plan of slowly increasing mileage is reasonable, you should have done 75 miles the week before.

Couple of things to think about:

• Is the route hilly, take into account sapping climbs as well as just pure distance
  • Will you be comfortable on the bike? - this is mainly what your training will tell you. Even if you are fit you don't want your knees to go 60 miles in because your saddle is at the wrong height
  • Get plenty to eat as you go
  • Have a breakdown recovery plan in place - you can fix a flat tyre?
Go for it!

Arch

Married to Night Train
viniga said:
Your basic plan of slowly increasing mileage is reasonable, you should have done 75 miles the week before.

Indeed, and from 75 to 92 is not so much of a jump - in fact on that basis, I suspect you'll find you are able to increase the weekly mileage jumps as time goes by - from 20 to 25 is a bigger jump, proportionately than from 50 to 55 for example.

When I did my century, the most I'd done before was 70.

gbb

Legendary Member
You can vastly extend the mileage you normally do by approaching it the right way...
Your 25 miles ? are you pushing hard to achieve it in a reasonable time ?

IMO, to extend your mileage by such a large margin in a relatively short time is asking a lot of yourself (i'm basing that on me, at 50+). But i always ride fast.

But if you come to the day of the ride and you've not really achieved that kind of mileage, take it steady on the day. You can do far more than normal if you dont try to do it fast.
My normal mileage is 40 miles, which i always push hard at and make good speed...i dont usually have time to do much more mileage on a regular basis, but last year i had two occasions (unusually) where i had all day to enjoy cycling. One of them i did 52 miles easily and a week later i did 82 miles...by not pushing too hard.
By riding at 60% instead of 70 or 80% (just figures i'm throwing in, they're not based on reality)...you can ride much longer than normal.

Keep pushing (if thats what you do) in the mean time to build strength and stamina, dont forget to rest as well, and dont do too much mileage a few days before the ride proper. You'll be ok. :biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
You should be fine. Get someone who rides a bit to spot your position on the bike. Could be a tweak of saddle or bar will stop a problem before it develops.

Although you have plenty of time to train for the distance, try to get an idea of the time it might take to actually do.

Although I'm happy to travel at 18mph, my average speed on a social ride is often around 12mph. This would put you at about 8 hours in the saddle, long enough to warrant about an hour's worth of food / drink / comfort breaks.

9 hours means setting off around 9am and arriving at about 6pm, which should give you a good idea of the supplies you might want with you. It may rain once, twice, or constantly during that time, and you'll want a phone along to reassure the folks you're meeting that you're still on your way.

Depends whereabouts you live, but route choice presumably comes down to cutting through Exmoor (not a great road if caravan season is in full swing), heading along the coast from Watchet, Minehead, Lynmouth (bit lumpy), or flatter lands Wellington > South Molton > Barnstaple.

ChrisKH

Guru
Alternatively take arallsop with you for one day and you will smash 92 miles by teatime.
And then he'll turn round and take you home. :biggrin:

You should have no problem with the correct prep. as everyone says.

buggi

Bird Saviour
if you're riding a mountain bike now and can do 25 miles, when you get your road bike just go straight out for a 40 mile loop. you will be amazed at how much easier it is to ride a road bike on the road rather than a mountain bike. you will cover twice the distance in the same time :biggrin:

when you've done the 40 miler you will find it easy to go up in 10s i reckon.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
ChrisKH said:
Alternatively take arallsop with you for one day and you will smash 92 miles by teatime.
And then he'll turn round and take you home. ;)

Now that's not strictly fair ChrisKH. I never got you home. :laugh:

postman

Legendary Member
Is it the Elite?

A light fast bike,you should have no probs .Just go steady and the miles will drop off .

Have a good day .Take cafe stops .It makes sense .

It is not a race .

All the best .

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I started cycling last march and did my first 100 miler in October. Big differences between me and U though is I was 4 stone overweight and very unfit when I started cycling and I am exactly double your age by coincidence.

I didnt stick to the usual advice about gradually increasding the mileage .I did my first 50 almost straight away then did a couple of 60s before doing the ton.Most of my training rides were 20 to 30 milers and I tried to do 3 of those per week.

Provide the bike is the right size and set up right you will do it no problem.

Top Bottom