Am I being unfair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

Earlier today I had reason to nip into ASDA. In all honesty, its not normally my first choice of supermarket - I don't think I'm being elitist by saying that I just find it to be rather crowded and I feel uncomfortable in tight busy areas - but I had time to kill whilst a nearby garage checked out a slow puncture on my car's tyre.

Inside was a display of kids bikes, each box had a picture of the bike fully assembled seemingly correctly. Proudly in front of the display was an actual bike:-

Do ASDA employ remarkably thick people who are unable to follow instructions for putting together their own merchandise? Or are their instructions so vague and misleading that a non-cyclist wouldn't be be able to safely put a bike together for their children?

Or am I being an unfair smug twunt?

Attachments

• IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 246

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
you're not being unfair. It's rubbish. And dangerous. Give them a call.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1243807"]
I think you are being a bit harsh. Lets be honest, it was probably unboxed by the saturday asst, who has no interest in or experience of bikes. If it was in a bike shop, then fine, complain. In Asda, maybe a quiet word with the supervisor, who probably wouldn't know forks the wrong way round anymore than she will know if it's 700c or 20".
[/quote]
It was in a bike shop.

If they sell bikes they are a cycle dealer and their staff should be trained to put a machine together that isn't a dangerous pile of junk.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

[QUOTE 1243807"]
I think you are being a bit harsh. Lets be honest, it was probably unboxed by the saturday asst, who has no interest in or experience of bikes. If it was in a bike shop, then fine, complain. In Asda, maybe a quiet word with the supervisor, who probably wouldn't know forks the wrong way round anymore than she will know if it's 700c or 20".
[/quote]

This is why I'm asking the question - am I being unfair? ASDA isn't a bike shop... But that's exactly the thing, isn't it? They do sell bikes.

Sure they might be put together by a Saturday assistant, but I've done that gig and I bet people here did too - maybe you did. If what you were doing was considered halfway important someone checked your work.

Which leads me to think that it isn't considered important, which in turn suggests ASDA don't care about safety (which as a corporation I doubt is true, but I do wonder about corporate attitude which is a different thing).

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
not being unfair, its only a bloody bike not something complex, we must demand more of ourselves, (knows it wont get any better so now walks away mumbling and giggling)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yeah but no but yeah but...
If I get asked to do something at work, and I don't know how to, I find out.
I don't just bodge it any old how.

Davidc

Guru
It's ASDA - so don't expect miracles.

If I'd seen it I'd have spoken to customer services, pointed out it was dangerous, and offered to put it right for a tenner.

Unlikely - I only ever go there to buy bags for the food recycling boxes because I don't like the shop!

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

[QUOTE 1243812"]
Also, the customer will take home a box, which contains full instructions for assembly, and an allen key made from cheese. They won't ride home that one will they?
[/quote]

Something happens to the display stock...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What if it there is a sudden run on the bikes (after all Christmas is only just around the corner) and someone says they will take the display model..... :sad: :angry: so it is important.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

It's ASDA - so don't expect miracles.

If I'd seen it I'd have spoken to customer services, pointed out it was dangerous, and offered to put it right for a tenner.

Actually... I should have done that, and offered to show them how to do it themselves. As it was, I sent them an email. I couldn't tell you why I didn't mention it when there - I made a mistake, I guess. I was wrong.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
brakes should give it away, not usually facing backwards.
Which would be a vital safety issue if the blocks are the type which slide into holders since they would tend to be ejected under braking if reversed. I reckon the ones on that bike are actually the type which have studs coming out of them but it's hard to be sure from that photograph.

Top Bottom