Am I Bonkers ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bayerd

Über Member
You can't be mad (OP), my regular commute is from bedroom to living room, however I currently detour by 12 miles in between each day. Looking forward to upping this detour to 15 miles this next week.

banksi

MLC,

Not bonkers in the slightest. :blush: I do a similar thing too, I cycle from Thorpe Bay to board the train at Chalkwell - nice route along the sea front - then alight at Limehouse, before a commute across to WC1. This has two great advantages - 1. Saves around 25 quid a week and 2. I get a good 15 miles a day cycling. Once the better weather comes I may get off the train even earlier in the evenings :smile:

ChrisKH,

I also use the Fenchurch St line, and would be interested in a "summer" commute back from the city to Southend.

Do you know how long it takes at a less "sporty" pace? I would be on a folder,a Dahon Speed Pro TT, but it should be good for that kind of ride/distance.

Iain

RedBike

I'm sorry but it sounds bonkers to me. Why not just take the bike out when you get home. That way your not leaving the bike at a station all day and you can get changed out of your work clothes first.

Mind ypu I do often add on an extra hour or two onto my commute so I can get a good ride in/

Not bonkers to me.
I take a few extra miles in when I am on nights. Around the bay the up the Clyne Valley an old railway track through the woods cracking. In fact thinking about it, after reading your post I may extend that in the comming summer months.
Oh I am really looking forward to the summer this year!!

OP
OP
M

MLC

banksi said:
MLC,

Not bonkers in the slightest. :laugh: I do a similar thing too, I cycle from Thorpe Bay to board the train at Chalkwell - nice route along the sea front - then alight at Limehouse, before a commute across to WC1. This has two great advantages - 1. Saves around 25 quid a week and 2. I get a good 15 miles a day cycling. Once the better weather comes I may get off the train even earlier in the evenings :smile:

ChrisKH,

I also use the Fenchurch St line, and would be interested in a "summer" commute back from the city to Southend.

Do you know how long it takes at a less "sporty" pace? I would be on a folder,a Dahon Speed Pro TT, but it should be good for that kind of ride/distance.

Iain

Well Thats a (non sporty) chain gang of 3 then. Any other takers ?

12.50 mph average would cover 50 miles in 4 hours which is probably the shortest distance allowing for slightly prettier routes back (so would have to be something undertaken june / july time (for daylight or you could have a new chalkwell dynamo!)

This is the average I record when out with the steadier CTC group and is a sedate pace which includes some stopping at hilltops and junctions for re grouping granted that it would be lot more stop/start back from the smoke.

Keith Oates

Janner
I have a car arranged to pick me up and take me home each day by the company but I don't use it and prefer to do a round trip of 50+ Km on the bike each day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snailracer

Über Member
MLC said:
I have just started commuting by bike to a railway station which is 3 miles away. Nothing wrong with that I hear you all say but………

I live just around the corner from the Rail Station, literally I close my front door take a leisurely stroll and 4 -5 minutes later I am on the Platform ready to travel into Liverpool Street.

I do not get on the bike to go here oh no, I cycle 3 miles away to a station further up the line (i.e. away from my ultimate destination so I pass my home station on the way in and the way home)

In my defence my hours can be quite long and this is the only way I can get out on the bike during the week and I travel away because there are better roads for the even longer journey home!

Does anyone else undertake what is effectively a pointless commute just so as they can get out on the bike?
You're not bonkers, but you are on the wrong forum :wacko:

Top Bottom