Am I just imagining?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I think people with long legs make stronger and faster riders than those with short legs. Am I right?
I have been watching other riders lately and noticed that all the ones passing me seem to have longer legs ( I only have short legs, 29"). I know that general fitness and weight play a big part also but I see more riders with long legs than short ones. Also, most professional riders have long legs.
Please correct me If I am wrong.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Cavendish is pretty short legged but doesn't seem to lack power at the kill. But if you're up hill and down dale, yes, I'd think light, long and leggy would be best.

Durian

Über Member
A friend of mine has short stubby legs that wouldn't look out of place holding up a snooker table, when he gets those legs moving on the flat he can leave me for dead. My legs are long and thin, picture two pieces of string, but when we hit the hills I leave him in my wake.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
A friend of mine has short stubby legs that wouldn't look out of place holding up a snooker table, when he gets those legs moving on the flat he can leave me for dead. My legs are long and thin, picture two pieces of string, but when we hit the hills I leave him in my wake.
Can we deduct from your post that short legs are good on the flat and long legs better on hills? Add stamina to that and all is well if you live in Holland. Wales is a different story. Can I get leg extensions on the nhs?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
The legs are actually getting longer as the rider passes due to the doppler effect as they head away from you. The science is simple; as something moves away from the observer the wavelengths effectively get longer as they take longer to reach the observer. Thus, effectively, the overtaking rider's legs will get longer the further away from the observer they are, to a point where the legs are infinitely long and the rider is no longer in sight. :wacko:.

Or maybe not.

Top Bottom