am i mad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mazza

i have some time on my hands and ive just booked the train to oban and im going to cycle threw the outer hebrease on to sky then the train home from kyle il be stoping at hostels mainly and may stay about week in bernaray in the hostel there ive done this route before but never in the winter what do you think

johnb5271

am i mad

I dont know about mad, but you have balls.

OP
OP
M

mazza

i have had a think and im still going but im not going to cycle but go on the buses as thye main reason to go is to stop at the bernaray hostel and chill out a bit and get away for a while i have cycled the outer hebredes few times before so i know the weather can be bad in the summer so in the winter ill be goin on the bus as my bike dont like the snow and ice but im still going but not on the bike

OP
OP
M

mazza

ive come to my sences and im going on the bus but it should still be a bit adventure it beats two weeks in birmingham anyway

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
MacBludgeon said:
so it's now, am i mad for going on a bus trip, well depends how dangerous you feels bus trips can be

My last coach trip was very dangerous...woooo!!

The coach I was travelling on with forty eight pupils and three colleagues didn't make it round a bend on the way to Alton Towers. The coach went through a drystone wall launched itself into the air over a four to five foot drop went onto two wheels, keeled over at a crazy angle, ripped out the rear wheel arches and filled the rear of the coach with dirt and pebbles. While this was happening I was emulating a mogul skier maintaining a degree of balance while watching kids go into free flight within the coach and few narrowly escape falling into the void where the flooring near the wheel arches had disappeared. The coach righted itself and came to a halt.

The kids were clamed down, decanted into the other coaches in the school trip convoy and went on to Alton Towers and enjoyed a fabulous day out. The rides at Alton Towers were tame in comparison......

Not much madness or danger to be found in a scheduled bus service from Birmingham unless there's something akin to my 'adventure' to be had.

Tasker

mazza said:
ive come to my sences and im going on the bus but it should still be a bit adventure it beats two weeks in birmingham anyway

SORRY. Just back from the pub..... I mean, just when you think everything and everybody's so blank, grey and meaningless.

Mazza, go. Do it and enjoy yourself and never mind about any rain or what transport you're using. You are truly an inspiration to me and I'm sure many others. Just please remember to write everyday down so you can let us all know how you did and what you thought of it all.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. Good luck Mate.

The only "danger" is that services can be very limited and many of the ferries suspend in bad weather.

I spent a week on Lewes, of which two days were spent travelling and four in Ullapool waiting for ferries (reccomend the Ferry Boat Inn at Ullapool).

The other "danger" is the hospitality when you do get stuck - it is incredible.... and involves drinking lots!

Finally there are lots of restrictions on Sundays - so getting food, accommodation and other services can be difficult

ronmac

I'm a wee bit disappointed you're not taking the bike now. But having said that the conditions are a bit unpredictable so you're probably doing the sensible thing (so you're not mad, well not at the moment anyway).
I cycled from Fort William to Glasgow during the first week in January. Apparently it was minus 18 on Rannoch Moor the night before. It was magical. But the A82 is a main road and was fine. Such may not be the case on some of the smaller island roads.
Anyway make the most of you're trip, I'm sure you'll love it. Ron.

Top Bottom