Am I missing something - Boardman Large = 54cm??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cjbailey1

Went into Halfrauds today to look at bikes and have a discussion with my mate there. They haven't yet had any of the Boardman bikes in on the Island and he (and me!) was surprised that the Boardman hybrid bikes list large as being a 54cm frame. This has pushed the bikes out of contention for me as I really need a 60/62cm frame. Does anyone have any experience of these frames, is 54cm actually correct or is there something odd about the frames which means the 54cm is equivalent to a bigger size?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hold on - compact frame (sloping top tube) vs conventional horizontal top tube - there is a big difference in size - you get a longer seat post to compensate.....

Try them out first........

yenrod

All i know, of what ive seen, of these bikes, is that they are of pretty good spec. and even id think about 1 of them ! In fact the trouble I had with the Raliegh i ended up with, it may have been better !!!!

OP
OP
C

cjbailey1

fossyant said:
Hold on - compact frame (sloping top tube) vs conventional horizontal top tube - there is a big difference in size - you get a longer seat post to compensate.....

Try them out first........

That's the answer then. Unfortunately I can't try them, they don't have them in stock down here and can only get them in pre-ordered. It's a bit difficult being on the Isle of Wight 'cus I can't exactly nip anywhere else either!

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Just had a look at the boardmanbike website and their sizing. the XL is listed as having a 58.5 toptube which is a fairly big bike which 'could' be right for you. But if i were you, i would be quite cautious about buying a bike you can't try...

As for sizing in General, i ride several bikes that are listed very differently, got a 62cm which is just right, a Large which is just right and i used to ride a 56cm which was too small. BUT they are all using different measurements as their baseline.
I need something with a 57ish toptube and this is the only measurement that is important. Find this out and you'll know what size you need.

OP
OP
C

cjbailey1

longers said:
Can't you just hop on the ferry? :biggrin:
To get anywhere where I could try the bikes I'd need to take the car, day return is about £50 atm which would seriously eat into my budget lol.

OP
OP
C

cjbailey1

Dayvo said:
Can't you just hop on the hovercraft to Southsea and get a bus to one of these?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...cator_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_langId_-1

You have to pinpoint Portsmouth on the map to find the shops.

I was told that none of the ones nearby have any of the boardman bikes in stock. We have a halfords on the Island with a Bikehut in it, but they've not had any through.

yenrod

Steve Austin said:
Just had a look at the boardmanbike website and their sizing. the XL is listed as having a 58.5 toptube which is a fairly big bike which 'could' be right for you. But if i were you, i would be quite cautious about buying a bike you can't try...

As for sizing in General, i ride several bikes that are listed very differently, got a 62cm which is just right, a Large which is just right and i used to ride a 56cm which was too small. BUT they are all using different measurements as their baseline.
I need something with a 57ish toptube and this is the only measurement that is important. Find this out and you'll know what size you need.

2nd'd Steve !

Top Bottom